How to explain love? How to explain the feeling that motivated so many writers, poets and other artists to create the most inspiring works of art that will be praised and worshipped for years to come?
What is love?
Love is inspiring. Love is a gift. Love is so much more than just a feeling because it has the power to transform our lives, change our perspectives and make us better people.
It encompasses physical attraction, emotional attraction, spiritual connection, intimacy, caring and trust.
Love is capable of triggering a wide array of emotions, from extreme happiness and excitement to sadness and grief.
Its true power lies in the fact that if it weren’t for love, none of us would exist. Love doesn’t only happen in a long-term relationship but it is everywhere around us.
You can see it in the innocent laughter of little kids, in a beautiful blue sky and in the eyes of your friend, family member or loved one.
“… the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor even touched, but just felt in the heart.” – Helen Keller
From romantic relationships to deep friendships, we experience love in our own unique ways. We feel it with our heart and we express it through our words and actions.
By doing all that, we’re making the world a better place and that’s what love is about.
Love is about reciprocating.
There are different types of love and every single one of them has the same main ingredient and that is reciprocation.
To reciprocate means to give and take. Because romantic love is not about posting a picture on social media just for the sake of collecting likes.
It is about experiencing it in the real world where you cherish real emotions and gestures instead of virtual ones.
Love is about selflessly giving without expecting anything in return. In order to be able to explain love, we need to be ready to give a part of us to others with no limitations or conditions.
Love is protectiveness.
Love shouldn’t hurt but should protect you. Love is about making another person feel protected and caring about their well-being and their physical and mental health.
It is about standing up for your loved ones and protecting them from other people’s harsh words and actions. It is the most secure feeling in the world and your best friend in your journey called life.
Love is hugging another human being so tight and for so long because it feels like home. Love is helping an older person cross the road or defending your best friend when others are blaming them.
Love cannot be described with words.
Love is telling someone: “I can’t explain how much I love you.” Indeed, how do you explain love if it cannot be described with words?
Not saying anything and sharing a comfortable silence is the easiest way to explain what love is.
Even though it cannot be described with words, there are five love languages: words of affirmation, receiving gifts, acts of service, physical touch and quality time.
How to explain the five love languages or learn them? The same way you explain love. Once you learn to love, you will know how to use its language.
Love cannot be described with words but it can be described with fun facts about love.
One of the most interesting love facts is the effect of falling in love being similar to being on drugs (especially during the infatuation phase).
Brain chemicals like oxytocin make us speechless and addicted to the feeling of being in love.
Love is mutual respect.
Real love is all about mutual respect and trust. If there is no trust, there is no love and vice versa. We cannot connect with other beings if we’re not connected with ourself.
We cannot respect others if we don’t practice self-respect and self-love.
Love is about recognizing the infinite potential in another human being, respecting their choices (even when we don’t agree with them) and helping them become the best version of themselves.
Love is being vulnerable.
Love is being able to tell your story and say what’s in your heart to another human being. It is about sharing your tears, joy, fears and passions.
Love is not about hiding who you truly are for the sake of being accepted. It is about opening yourself up and showing the real you to another person.
It’s about showing your sensitive side and embracing every fiber of each other’s being.
Love means effort, loyalty and commitment.
Love is being in an epistolary relationship and making an effort to put your deepest thoughts and emotions on paper. Love is constantly finding new ways to make your loved one special.
It is about making an effort and being loyal and committed. You cannot experience love if you’re not ready to give.
Once you discover the joy of selfless giving, you will know how to explain love. You will learn that true love is worth fighting for.
Love is understanding.
Love is not judging our best friend or loved one but trying to understand them. Love is understanding that nothing in life is perfect and nothing should be.
Love is understanding another person’s point of view instead of only imposing our own.
It is about listening to what others have to say, appreciating their opinions and letting them know that they are understood.
Love accepts imperfections and flaws.
Love is not perfect and it doesn’t expect you to be perfect either. Love accepts every single imperfection, quirk and flaw.
Regardless of whether you’re in high school, if you’re a legit adult or a child, love accepts you. Know that you’re worthy of love, no matter how flawed you may feel.
Because love has no conditions and that is why it is called unconditional love.
How to explain why you love someone?
Someone once said to me: “You know you really love someone if you have no idea why you love them in the first place.” That is one of the most genuine signs of true love.
Love is self-growth.
This is my favorite definition of love. Love is not only about finding your soulmate but it is about connecting with the universe and your true self.
Self-growth is one of the main characteristics of a healthy relationship. Your love life is not a separate unit in itself. It is connected with your growth as a person and your will to do your best each and every day.
Love is focusing on improving every aspect of your life because you want to do so for yourself and your loved ones.
Love oozes determination, bravery and devotion and it has the power to convert all of that into happiness.
Love is patient and brave.
Every loving relationship and love story is different but every single one of them is patient and brave. Love is patiently waiting for what you deserve instead of taking yourself for granted.
Love is knowing you are exactly where you are supposed to be right now. Love is also having the courage to accept the things you cannot change and trusting God and the universe that they have a plan for you.
Love is believing even when you don’t have the opportunity to see. Love is being in the moment and being grateful for everything you have.
25 Inspiring Quotes That Perfectly Explain Love
1. “Love is wisdom, love is in giving, love is god, and god is love but there is no wise or fools for love. Love is equal for each one of us.” – Santosh Kalwar
2. “Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing.” – Torquato Tasso
3. “There are only four questions of value in life… What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for? And what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.” – Jeremy Leven
4. “Love is always bestowed as a gift – freely, willingly and without expectation. We don’t love to be loved; we love to love.” – Leo Buscaglia
5. “Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone – we find it with another.” – Thomas Merton
6. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr. Seuss
7. “True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. It is, on the contrary, an element calm and deep. It looks beyond mere externals, and is attracted by qualities alone. It is wise and discriminating, and its devotion is real and abiding.” – Ellen G. White
8. “Love isn’t something you find. Love is something that finds you.” – Loretta Young
9. “Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” – Franklin P. Jones
10. “Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectedly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration.” – D. H. Lawrence
11. “Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.” – Voltaire
12. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” – Aristotle
13. “… we’ve got the gift of love. But love is like a precious plant. You can’t just accept it and leave it in the cupboard, or just think it’s gonna get on with itself. You gotta keep watering it. You’ve got to really look after it… and nurture it.” – John Lennon
14. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” – Unknown
15. “… love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence…” – Erich Fromm
16. “It was the love of love, the love that swallows up all else, a grateful love, a love of nature, of people, of animals, a love of engendering gentleness and goodness that moved me and that I saw in you.” – William Carlos Williams
17. “In my life I’ve learned that true happiness comes from giving. Helping others along the way makes you evaluate who you are. I think that love is what we’re all searching for. I haven’t come across anyone who didn’t become a better person through love.” – Marla Gibbs
18. “I strongly believe that love is the answer and that it can mend even the deepest unseen wounds. Love can heal, love can console, love can strengthen, and yes, love can make change.” – Somaly Mam
19. “Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” – Leo Buscaglia
20. “True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart.” – Honoré de Balzac
21. “The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them.” – Thomas Merton
22. “Love is an adventure and a conquest. It survives and develops, like the universe itself, only by perpetual discovery.” – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
23. “Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same.” – Helen Keller
24. “Love is the ability and willingness to allow those that you care for to be what they choose for themselves without any insistence that they satisfy you.” – Wayne Dyer
25. “Love is all around us all the time. Love is the ethers that we swim in. Love is the amniotic fluid of the soul.” – Marianne Williamson
Love is the little things.
Love is saying I love you for the first time to your loved one, cuddling with your pet on a rainy day, laughing with your friends, smelling a beautiful flower and protecting the weak.
The meaning of love lies in the little things.
Love is not something that can be achieved but it is a process. Once you absorb that, you will learn to live life filled with love and you will see signs of love everywhere around you.
You will learn how to explain love with your heart instead of words. Once you’re with the right person, you’ll know just how easy love is supposed to be.
See also: The Ultimate List Of Timeless Falling In Love Quotes For Him And Her