No matter how lost, confused, and hurt you feel at the moment, worry not because it’s OK to be sad quotes come to the rescue!
Now you’re probably wondering: How in the world will quotes make me feel less sad?
The truth is, they can’t make you feel less sad instantly but they can help you understand that what you’re feeling is totally okay and that everything will be alright.
We often forget that we aren’t supposed to be happy 24/7 and that other emotions are healthy, too. Questioning our emotions is the first step to understanding ourselves.
Is it OK to be sad?
Yes, it’s totally okay to be sad because we’re human beings. We’re not wired to experience only positive emotions all the time.
We can’t get rid of our emotions but we can learn to embrace them.
We can decide to persevere no matter what. We can decide to accept what we’re feeling and believe that in the end, everything is going to be okay.
Mastering the power of positive thinking is the secret to happiness and success.
By realizing that it’s okay to be sad sometimes, we are rising above ourselves and allowing positive emotions to enter our life.
So, yes, it’s totally okay to feel down sometimes and these it’s OK to be sad quotes prove that!
It’s OK To Be Sad Quotes
Whenever you feel off, know that you’re not alone. Also, know that it’s okay to feel sad from time to time. Let these it’s okay to be sad quotes be your daily reminder of that.
1. “I will be okay, just not today!” – Unknown
2. “When you feel sad, it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world. Everyone has those days when you doubt yourself, and when you feel like everything you do sucks, but then there are those days when you feel like Superman. It’s just the balance of the world. I just write to feel better.” – Mac Miller
3. “Some days are just bad days, that’s all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that’s just the way it is!” – Dita Von Teese
4. “People cry, not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for too long.” – Johnny Depp
5. “Sadness flies away on the wings of time.” – Jean de La Fontaine
6. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
7. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
8. “You can take something that is incredibly sad and have some form of positivity.” – Terri Irwin
9. “It’s okay to be sad if things don’t go the way you had hoped.” – Jessie James Decker
10. “Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep.” – Clive Barker11. “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
12. “Tears are words that need to be written.” – Paulo Coelho
13. “Ten years ago, I still feared loss enough to abandon myself in order to keep things stable. I’d smile when I was sad, pretend to like people who appalled me. What I now know is that losses aren’t cataclysmic if they teach the heart and soul their natural cycle of breaking and healing.” – Martha Beck
14.“She was a genius of sadness, immersing herself in it, separating its numerous strands, appreciating its subtle nuances. She was a prism through which sadness could be divided into its infinite spectrum.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
15. “Don’t be ashamed to weep; ’tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.” – Brian Jacques
16. “Ester asked why people are sad. “That’s simple,” says the old man. “They are the prisoners of their personal history. Everyone believes that the main aim in life is to follow a plan. They never ask if that plan is theirs or if it was created by another person. They accumulate experiences, memories, things, other people’s ideas, and it is more than they can possibly cope with. And that is why they forget their dreams.” – Paulo Coelho
17. “Sadness gives depth. Happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots. Happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going into the sky, and sadness is like the roots going down into the womb of the earth. Both are needed, and the higher a tree goes, the deeper it goes, simultaneously. The bigger the tree, the bigger will be its roots. In fact, it is always in proportion. That’s its balance.” – Osho
18. “There is some kind of a sweet innocence in being human – in not having to be just happy or just sad- in the nature of being able to be both broken and whole, at the same time.” – C. Joybell
19. “When you do something noble and beautiful and nobody notices, do not be sad. For the sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps.” – John LennonSee also: 120 Inspirational Keep Your Head Up Quotes And Sayings
20. “I will be stronger than my sadness.” – Jasmine Warga
21. “You really didn’t see the sadness or the longing unless you already knew it was there. But that was the trick, wasn’t it? Everyone had their disappointment and their baggage; only, some people carried it in their inside pockets and not on their backs.” – Maggie Stiefvater
22. “Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.” – Kahlil Gibran
23. “I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless and they don’t want anyone else to feel like that.” – Robin Williams
24. “It’s okay to be sad. You don’t owe anyone a performance of being okay when you feel like you’re falling apart. It isn’t your job to smile or hide your truth to make other people feel more comfortable. If it gets awkward, let it be awkward. If people try to silence your pain by telling you to get over it and cheer up because you’re no longer fun or you’re ruining the mood, you don’t have to push away your sadness. You have to honor your feelings and trust that you don’t need anyone’s permission or approval to feel what you feel. You don’t ever have to sacrifice your self care for the sake of people who only want you around when it’s easy and comfortable. Their discomfort isn’t about you – it’s about them and their own limitations, and no matter what they think or say, you deserve to give yourself permission to feel whatever it is you feel. You’re allowed to show your feelings honestly. You’re allowed to talk about your pain and reach out for support. You’re allowed to scream and wail and cry. You’re allowed to be sad.” – Daniell Koepke
25. “Sad hurts but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel.” – J.K. Rowling
26. “It doesn’t hurt to feel sad from time to time.” – Willie Nelson
27. “Sadness is a vice.” ~ Gustave Flaubertyou
28. “I don’t think all writers are sad, she said. I think it’s the other way around—all sad people write.” – Lang Leav
29. “When you’re happy you don’t always have to be laughing, and when you’re sad you don’t have to be crying; sometimes it’s the opposite. You laugh when you’re the most upset.” – Freddie Highmore
30. “Life has to be everything. It can’t be all sad. It can’t be all peaches and cream. Because the lows have you appreciate the highs. And the highs give you perspective on the lows. If it’s not everything, it becomes flat or mundane.” – Sterling K. Brown
31. “It is okay to be sad, it is not the end of the world!” – Unknown
32. “Being sad at times is a good thing, as it shows us that there are areas of our lives we are not happy with.” – Unknown
33. “I work extremely hard to stay positive and happy. But I get sad and anxious, too, just like everyone.” – Rachel Platten
34. “Being sad doesn’t mean it’s the end, let it be the beginning of a new way of living.” – Unknown
35. “I like to be sad once in a while. You need it for your equilibrium.” – Marjane Satrapi
36. “There are times I am happy. There are times I am sad. But I always try to separate emotion from the need to reach for something stronger, deeper. And then no matter the emotion, I can reach for a stability that helps me accomplish what is the goal.” – Troy Polamalu
37. “You have to really understand that although certain memories or stories make you sad, you are not sad. Pull yourself out from that emotion and remember that.” – Rupi Kaur
38. “Let the sad times be a means of awakening your true strength within you.” – Asad Meah
39. “We can feel sad, hurt, demoralized. But we can’t give up.” – Patrisse Cullors
40. “Just because you are sad, it doesn’t mean that you are not strong or loved. Know that you are.” – Unknown
41. “Deep down, I reckon the sweetest moment will come when it’s finally all over. When, at last, I know that I can stop fighting. Of course it’ll also be a little sad. The sweetest moments, y’know, always come with just a little sadness.” – Evander Holyfield
42. “It’s okay to be sad. It’s okay to cry. Just don’t let the sadness take over your life. You will be smiling soon. I know it.” – Unknown43. “You don’t have to be positive all the time. It’s perfectly okay to feel sad, angry, annoyed, frustrated, scared, or anxious. Having feelings doesn’t make you a ‘negative person’. It makes you human.” – Lori Deschene
44. “Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.” – Steven Tyler
45. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” – Washington Irving
I Am Sad Quotes
Understanding our emotions is sometimes the only thing we need in order to start feeling better. Here are some sad quotes that will make you feel understood and also help you understand your emotions better.
1. “If you could read my mind, you would be in tears!” – Unknown
2. “I stopped talking about how I felt because I knew no one cared anyway.” – Unknown
3. “You don’t know pain until you’re staring at yourself in the mirror, with tears streaming down your face and you are begging yourself to just hold on and be strong. That is pain.” – Unknown
4. “I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” – Ned Vizzini
5. “What you must understand about me is that I’m a deeply unhappy person.” – John Green
6. “There are two types of people in the world: those who prefer to be sad among others, and those who prefer to be sad alone.” – Nicole Krauss
7. “When you are sad—like really sad—you only want to be with other people who are sad.” – Nick Hornby
8. “People who shout joy from the rooftops are often the saddest of all.” – Milan Kundera9. “Sometimes I wish life was written in pencil so we could erase it and write it all over again.” – Thisuri Wanniarachchi
10. “If you choose to be sad then you will be sad but there are times you don’t know why you’re sad. Tears start flowing from your eyes.” – Ann Marie Aguilar
11. “Sometimes we get sad about things and we don’t like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret. Or sometimes, we are sad but we really don’t know why we are sad, so we say we aren’t sad but we really are.” – Mark Haddon
12. “I was a sad kid.” – Post Malone
13. “I’m full of pain but I wake up every morning and I’m smiling.” – Unknown
14. “A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried. – Unknown
15. “People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.” – Unknown
16. “It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” – Henry Rollins17. “As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.” – Tabitha Suzuma
18. “One thing you can’t hide — is when you’re crippled inside.” – John Lennon
19. “There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.” – Dante Alighieri
20. “I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” – Ned Vizzini
21. “I’m lonely. And I’m lonely in some horribly deep way and for a flash of an instant, I can see just how lonely, and how deep this feeling runs. And it scares the shit out of me to be this lonely because it seems catastrophic.” – Augusten Burroughs
What Is The Saddest Quote Ever?
The saddest quote ever is the one that brings tears to your eyes and makes you deeply sympathize with the person who wrote it.
Here are some of the most inspirational quotes about sadness that include both life quotes and love quotes. They might help you find the saddest quote ever according to your “standards”.
1. “The trouble with a great sadness is that it doesn’t fit inside your body.” – Manuel Rivas
2. “Because pieces of your heart clearly weigh more when they’re sitting shattered at the bottom of your stomach.” – Heather Brewer
3. “I love walking in the rain because no one can see me crying.” – Rowan Atkinson
4. “Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day.” – Markus Zusak
5. “There is an ocean of silence between us… and I am drowning in it.” – Ranata Suzuki6. “Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. . . . It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different from feeling sad. Sad hurts but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different.” – J.K. Rowling
7. “The sadness will last forever.” – Vincent van Gogh
8. “I try to smile at her, but I can’t extend my flexibility training to my mouth, it just won’t move.” – Steph Campbell
9. “The tears stream down my cheeks from my unblinking eyes. What makes me weep so? There is nothing saddening here. Perhaps it is a liquefied brain.” – Samuel Beckett
10. “I just let the pain take over, allowing it to numb the pain of being left behind.” – Jessica Sorensen
11. “Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair.” – William Cowper
12. “Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway.” – Kiera Cass
13. “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.” – Miguel de Unamuno
14. “In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all; and to the young, it comes with bitterest agony because it takes them unawares. I have had experience enough to know what I say.” – Abraham Lincoln
15. “The pain never really goes away; you just elevate and get used to it by growing stronger.” – Ritu Ghatourey
16. “Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.” – Unknown
17. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” Norman Cousins
18. “Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.” – Percy Bysshe Shelley
19. “The way sadness works is one of the strange riddles of the world. If you are stricken with a great sadness, you may feel as if you have been set aflame, not only because of the enormous pain but also because your sadness may spread over your life, like smoke from an enormous fire.” – Lemony Snicket
20. “There is one pain, I often feel, which you will never know. It’s caused by the absence of you.” – Ashleigh Brilliant21. “I don’t want to get attached to anyone anymore, it only destroys me in the end.” – Unknown
22. “The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss.” – Thomas Carlyle
23. “Trust is like an eraser, it gets smaller and smaller after every mistake.” – Unknown
24. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” – Ella Harper
25. “Sometimes, when you are worn down, day after day, relentlessly, with no reprieve for years piled on years, sometimes you lose everything but the ability to cry.” – Leila Sales
26. “Lips that have tasted the salt of tears always give the sweetest kiss.” – C.J. Carlyon
27. “No amount of tears could soothe my broken heart.” – Ginny Toole
28. “Lately, I’ve been in a constant state of sadness…. I can’t tell if it’s me or the world who is hurting.” – Scarlet Jei Saoirse
29. “I will never let you see me weak. I only cry in the rain.” – Wahid Bhat
30. “Think I’ll miss you forever, like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky.” – Lana Del Rey
31. “They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don’t think it’s possible for you to miss me as much as I’m missing you right now” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
What Is A Good Have A Cry Quote?
Crying is not a sign of weakness but it is a sign that you’ve been strong for too long. I hope these motivational quotes will help you cry when you need to.
1. “Tears that “do not complain” remain in your throat and sooner or later, will leave you breathless. So cry!” – Corina Abdulahm Negura
2. “Weeping is the sacred washing of the soul in the depths of spirit.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
3. “If somebody hurts you, it’s okay to cry a river, just remember to build a bridge and get over it.” – Taylor Swift
4. “Cry and let your tears flow for a brighter tomorrow… Rain falls because the clouds can no longer take its heaviness… Just like our Tears… it falls because the heart can no longer take the pain…” – Nitya Prakash
5. “Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.” – C.S. Lewis6. “Don’t be ashamed to weep; ’tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.” – Brian Jacques
7. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” – J. K. Rowling
8. “Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.” – Unknown
9. “The soul is refreshed in shedding tears.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
10. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” – Christopher Morley
11. “We must understand that sadness is an ocean, and sometimes we drown, while other days we are forced to swim.” – R.M. Drake
12. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
13. “You have to hurt in order to know. Fall in order to grow. Lose in order to gain. Because most of life’s lessons are learned through pain.” – Boonah Mohammed
14. “You stay safe, You love. You survive. You laugh and cry and struggle and sometimes you fail and sometimes you succeed. You Push.” – Carrie Ryan
15. “Watch a movie that makes you laugh or listen to a song that makes you cry. Embrace your emotions and be proud of what you feel.” – Demi Lovato
16. “Every tear I have shed, purifies my soul.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
17. “Life is an onion – you peel it year by year and sometimes cry.” – Carl Sandburg
18. “Cry as much as you want to, but make sure when you’re finished, you never cry for the same reason again” – Wiz Khalifa
19. “Crying doesn’t mean you’re weak … Sometimes it’s what you need to do to get strong again.” – J.W. Lynne
20. “In tears there’s truth.” – Michele Gustafson21. “The good thing about crying, I’d realized, was the catharsis you felt when everything finally came out. It was as though I’d cried tears of poison; poison that didn’t have to be inside me anymore.” – Jeremy Jenkins
22. “When you are broken, cry it out. Stand up & then look straight to sigh! Relax, rest it out for a few days. Then get up smiling, believing in yourself and pick up those broken pieces of you, to create a brand new, better, confident YOU!” – Somya Kedia
23. “If you wish to cry, cry.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
24. “Blessed – lucky – are those who cry. Blessed are those who are sad, who mourn, who feel the loss of what they love – because they will be held by the One who loves them. There is a strange and aching happiness only the hurting know – for they shall be held.” – Ann Voskamp
25. “We cry because language is imperfect and fails to reach all the way down to the bottom-most depths of life, not even halfway down into the deepest charms, our tears begin where our words stop, are they messages from the abyss, the unspoiled depths?” – Jón Kalman Stefánsson
Remember: It’s Okay To Feel Sad Sometimes
I sincerely hope these it’s OK to be sad quotes have helped you improve your mental health awareness. We live in times when this is no longer a matter of choice, but it’s a must.
If you want to help other people improve their mental health awareness as well, don’t shy away from sharing these wise thoughts on social media as well.
“Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” – John Lennon