Being in a committed relationship with someone you love is the most beautiful feeling in the world. However, it really does require a lot of effort and hard work from both sides.
You can’t have a successful and healthy committed relationship just by truly loving someone and hoping it’s enough. No, commitment means so much more than that.
If you want a committed partner, you must also learn to be one. Commitment is a big part of every relationship and I really think that without it a relationship wouldn’t succeed.
When we’re young (here I’m referring to men especially), all we want is to have fun and that’s why we choose casual relationships over serious relationships and exclusivity.
Speaking about guys and commitment, a British author, Alexandra Potter, once said, “If you want a man who’s committed, go look in a mental hospital.”
Just joking! Of course men can also commit very easily to their romantic partners when they fall in love with them.
Don’t worry, your man will definitely give you some signs that he wants a committed relationship.
The thing is that most men will wait for the trust to be built in their relationship before they decide to fully commit to that person.
For all those people who don’t believe in true love or a committed relationship, watch out… It’s possible to have a committed romantic relationship. True love exists and it’s coming your way to change your opinion about love.
What Is A Committed Relationship?
Life is unpredictable and we all have to deal with some ups and downs. However, no matter how difficult life gets, there is no giving up. We continue with our lives after all those ‘downs’, we heal and we move one.
Well, that’s actually what commitment means. Being in a committed relationship means accepting a person for who they are, supporting them and everything they do, and staying by their side no matter what.
For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death… Saying ‘I do’ from the bottom of your heart to all of this is a true commitment.
Not only do romantic relationships need commitment to be successful and healthy, but friendship and work relationships do too. Of course, if you want them to be successful.
If you think about it properly, you will realize that you need commitment for everything you do and for every relationship you may have. If you want results, you’ll have to put some effort into the process.
You may feel instant chemistry with someone when you first meet them, but you may never be able to have a good and healthy relationship with that person because one of you isn’t ready to commit or to put a little effort into the relationship.
In order to make a relationship work, both partners must be ready to work constantly on the bond between them and to nurture their relationship all the time.
And always remember, little things are the ones that matter the most.
There are, unfortunately, many people who struggle with a fear of commitment. They are afraid of losing their freedom if they commit to someone.
Actually, most people have a fear of commitment precisely because they have the wrong opinion about it.
Being in a committed relationship doesn’t mean losing your freedom, it just means committing to love and being with one person and that person only.
On the other hand, there are some people who can’t be in a monogamous relationship, they simply don’t like the whole idea of monogamy. This consequently makes it difficult for them to be in a committed relationship.
If you really want to make your relationship a good and healthy one, you have to love, be willing to make compromises, trust, and respect your partner, and vice versa, too.
13 Signs Of A Committed Relationship
Being in a long-term relationship doesn’t mean you’re committed to each other and it definitely doesn’t mean you’ll stay together forever.
If you want to know what a healthy and committed relationship looks like or whether your relationship will be able to go the long haul, check these signs of commitment below.
Now it’s all ‘WE’
At the beginning of your relationship, you couldn’t speak in ‘we’ because, of course, you weren’t sure about where the relationship was going and you didn’t have such strong feelings for your partner.
But now, whatever you do, you do it together and you spend a lot of time together, so much so that you have simply become used to speaking in ‘we’.
You’re not just romantic partners, you’re also best friends
If you aren’t only lovers, but best friends too, it’s a very good sign of a committed relationship.
Before you fall in love with someone deeply and honestly, you first must build trust between you. And, the only way to do that is to become friends first.
You’re not afraid to open up to your significant other about anything. You share even your deepest and darkest thoughts.
Your partner is the person you trust the most and they’re the ones you go to if you have any problems in life.
You’ve set some boundaries that you both respect
You’ve both set some boundaries in your relationship and from the very first date, those boundaries have been respected from both sides.
You know the importance of setting boundaries in order to have a healthy relationship and there is nothing that could make you violate your partner’s boundaries.
Indeed, healthy boundaries are a big deal for any kind of relationship and it’s important to set them in the early stage of a new relationship.
They help in guiding someone on how the other person wants to be treated.
Your relationship is based on healthy communication and mutual respect
You communicate on a regular basis and you can speak about everything. There aren’t any taboo topics in your relationship.
You must check on your partner very often.
Sometimes we all deal with mental health issues and by communicating with your partner frequently, you’ll be able to help your partner deal with it in the least painful way possible.
Like all other couples, you will also have some disagreements and differences, but the important thing is that you know to deal with those in a healthy way.
You don’t think about a breakup every time you two fight. You know it’s not the first time you’ll argue about something and it’s definitely not the last.
You know you’ll get through it as you have already made it through all the obstacles so far and stayed together.
You embrace and respect those differences and don’t allow them to affect the bond between you.
Mutual respect and good communication are as important as love in order to have a successful and healthy relationship.
There are no secrets between you
Your significant other is the only person that knows everything about you, your good sides but also all of your flaws and imperfections.
You don’t feel comfortable when you have to hide something from them and that’s the reason why there are never any secrets between you two.
The fact is that keeping secrets from your romantic partner undermines trust. It also negatively affects the trust between you and can also greatly damage or ruin a relationship completely.
Your relationship is always on the top of your priority lists
Nowadays, we all have many obligations and our daily schedules are so busy. However, if you’re in a committed relationship, your main priority will always be your significant other and your relationship.
If you really want to spend time with your partner, you’ll find a way to do it even in the middle of your busiest schedule.
Your relationship mustn’t suffer because of your work or anything else. It’s as simple as that. I’m not saying you should spend 24/7 together, but spending time on a regular basis is a must.
You speak the same love language
In order to create a better and stronger bond between you, you must speak the same love language.
If you don’t have the same one, then you must be willing to learn how to speak each other’s love language because you’ll never be able to connect on the same level without it.
You’re each other’s biggest motivation
Your answer to the question: What motivates you to keep going in life no matter what happens? must always be – ‘my significant other’.
Life will definitely bring many things to your table, but you’ll accept it all and you’ll fight against all the bad things because you have a person to finally encourage you to keep pushing on.
You’re willing to make sacrifices for each other
If you’re in a committed and healthy relationship, you don’t mind making some sacrifices for your other half from time to time.
Making sacrifices is a two-way street and you know your partner would make sacrifices for you, too.
For example, if you’re afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things from time to time, and your partner really enjoys trying new things, every now and then, ease up and do it for them.
Who knows, you might just enjoy it!
You’re each other’s biggest fan
You know your partner is always there for you, no matter what and vice versa. You’re each other’s biggest support in everything you do in life.
If your partner wants to do something new or go in a new direction, you need to support them and believe in them no matter how big the risk may be.
You plan for the future together
All of your plans for the future must involve your partner and vice versa. If you’re in a committed relationship then you’re sure in your love and your bond and you want to stay together for the rest of your lives.
You talk about the future frequently and you’ve already planned some things. Daydreaming of your future house, kids and life in general is the most beautiful time of day for both of you.
All decisions are always made together
All decisions regarding your relationships are always made together.
And even though you’re individuals and have your own lives and some decisions you need to make on your own, you still consult with your significant other about every decision.
The most important thing is to communicate honestly through that whole decision-making process. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind about something even though your opinion might not match your partner’s.
You have eyes for each other only
You don’t even think about seeing other people, you have eyes for your partner only. Both of you feel the same about cheating and you would never hurt your partner in such a way.
Today many couples would say that social media affects their relationship negatively, but you aren’t one of those couples. You would never allow something so unimportant to affect your relationship.
Being loyal and committed to one human being only is the most beautiful thing in the world and even though it takes a lot of effort to achieve a healthy and committed romantic relationship with someone, it is all worth it.
21 Committed Relationship Quotes
The truth is that without commitment you can’t have a good and healthy relationship. And if you really and truly love a person, it won’t be hard for you to commit to that one person only.
For a better understanding of the importance of commitment, here are some quotes that will inspire you to cultivate a higher level of commitment in your relationship.
1. “If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather, it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession but participation.” – Madeleine L’Engle
2. “To have a caring and committed heart toward someone – a heart so firm in its devotion as to sooner stop beating than neglect the object of its desire despite the person’s state of health, appearance, reputation, finances, troubles, or challenges – that, dear world, is love. It is a rare find.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
3. “We have to recognize that there cannot be relationships unless there is commitment, unless there is loyalty, unless there is love, patience, persistence.” – Cornel West
4. “To say that one waits a lifetime for his soulmate to come around is a paradox. People eventually get sick of waiting, take a chance on someone, and by the art of commitment become soulmates, which takes a lifetime to perfect.” – Criss Jami, Venus in Arms
5. “To fall in love and to commit yourself to love means you should make your loved one the one thing you cherish the most.” – Kou Yoneda
6. “Inward spiritual practices such as meditation, breathing techniques and self-analysis generate insights and enhance abilities, but none are so useful as learning to live harmoniously in a committed relationship, being a skillful parent, or juggling the demands of daily life.” – Dan Millman
7. “Love is not maximum emotion. Love is maximum commitment.” – Sinclair B. Ferguson
8. “Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. To love somebody isn’t just a strong feeling. It is a decision, a judgement, and a promise.” – Erich Fromm
9. “If you’re in a committed relationship, then you don’t want to pursue anything.” – Andrew W.K.
10. “Without commitment, you cannot have depth in anything, whether it’s a relationship, a business or a hobby.” – Neil Strauss
11. “Even a friendship needs an effort from both sides, how can we expect a relationship to work from the effort of one..!! It should be a true-hearted commitment from both involved.” – Akansh Malik
12. “Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.” – William Hutchison Murray
13. “Love is not really a mystery. It is a process like anything else. A process that requires trust, effort, focus and commitment by two willing partners.” – Elizabeth Bourgeret
14. “I think when men hear that women want a commitment, they think it means commitment to a romantic relationship, but that’s not it. It’s a commitment to not floating around anywhere. I want a guy who is entrenched in his own life.” – Mindy Kaling
15. “Real love has little to do with falling. It’s a climb up the rocky face of a mountain, hard work, and most people are too selfish or too scared to bother.
Very few reach the critical point in their relationship that summons the attention of the light and the dark, that place where they will make a commitment to love no matter what obstacles – or temptations – appear in their path.” – Stacey Jay
16. “Love, above all things, is a commitment to your choice.” – Rob Liano
17. “Love is a vessel that contains both security and adventure, and commitment offers one of the great luxuries of life: time. Marriage is not the end of romance, it is the beginning.” – Esther Perel
18. “To commit to loving a person for five minutes is easy. To commit to loving a person for the rest of your life, after you have met them, is a strong commitment. But when you commit to loving a person before you meet them and for the rest of your life, you have made the strongest commitment one can make to a relationship.” – Tom Houck
19. “Love is total surrender, total acceptance and total commitment.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
20. “Love grows and wanes, but honor, duty, and commitment, those things are constant and stable. They define who you are.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
21. “If you promise to love, trust, respect, support and stand by someone no matter what, do not just speak those words when times are good. Live those words when challenges arise. The stronger the love and commitment, the more unbreakable the bond. United hearts will never be easily divided.” – Carlos Wallace