“When two people, who have an obvious interest in each other, flirt non-stop but can’t actually get into a relationship due to complicated reasons.” – Urban Dictionary
So, in a nutshell, it’s more than a friendship and less than a relationship… It’s just complicated.
It’s driving us and the people around us crazy. It’s like a constant game of cat and mouse, chasing after each other, and it never stops.
A flirtationship can also be one-sided, but sometimes you find someone who speaks the same language, someone who matches your flirting skills. You find a best friend and an on-call romantic partner. And it’s amazing.
The causes of flirtationships are different. One or both of you might be a flirt by nature; you simply enjoy the game.
You merely enjoy being friends with benefits. On the other hand, a flirtationship can also be the introduction to dating and a potential real relationship.
Or it can be your last resort because you’re unable to act upon your flirting for a variety of reasons – you might be co-workers, have mutual friends, or already be friends and want to avoid making things awkward.
Whatever the reason, the best dating advice I can give you for this situation is: You have no other option but to enjoy it while it lasts.
But, first things first! Accept the fact you’re in a flirtationship and don’t confuse it for anything else – you’re only going to make it more awkward and difficult for yourself.
Secondly, once you’ve accepted your fate, consider the benefits that each flirty relationship can bring you.
25 Signs you’re definitely in a flirtationship
1. You find someone who amuses you and makes your day better.
2. You share some inside jokes and have the same sense of humor.
3. You always come up with witty and flirtatious comments, and you both find new ways to surprise each other to step up the flirting game.
4. One of you had a haircut or looks especially good today and in no time at all, praises fall like rain.
5. You tag each other in memes.
6. There are a whole lot of Snapchats going on.
7. You have at least one photo of them on your phone.
8. Your texts are full of heart and smile emojis.
9. Random people keep telling you how good a couple you’d be and they often ask if you’re in a romantic relationship.
10. He’s a gentleman – he lets you have his jacket if it’s cold outside and he walks you home.
11.He makes sure to text you to ask you if you got home okay. He keeps you safe.
12. From time to time, he gives you a little sneak peek into his life and everything he ever tells you stays with you.
13. When you post something on social media, you know he’ll be liking them, zooming in on your pictures, and commenting on the smallest details that anyone else would easily miss.
14. You think your flirtationship partner is perfect and would probably make great boyfriend material, but something is holding you back.
15. You always leave parties together or if the party is going on in one of your homes, you have a safe place to nap – on their couch.
16. Hugs last more than they normally would with someone who’s just your friend.
17. You check each other out and make sure to make it obvious because it’s just more fun that way.
18. The sexual tension is obvious. Sparks are flying all around, but you’re both reluctant to make a move for one reason or the other.
19. You send each other flirty texts without any commitment.
20. There is no pressure of saying “I love you” first.
21. He’s the only one out of all your guy friends who makes you feel comfortable doing things you normally wouldn’t.
22. He’s texting you when he feels like it and you’re totally okay with it. On the contrary, more frequent texting would be a dealbreaker for you.
23. There is no fear of ending up in the friend zone because you clearly defined your relationship.
24. These kinds of relationships don’t last forever.
25. And the saddest comes last – there’s always the possibility of losing a close friend in the end.
No matter if your flirtationship is going places or about to reach its peak soon, there are things you can enjoy while the journey lasts.
10 Benefits Of Being In A Flirtationship
1. There’s no drama
If it ends with the two of you hooking up or being in a relationship, then great, but if not, great again.
What you had was meaningful, but not to the extent that it could easily hurt you. It was good while it lasted, it made your days more fun, but there is no need for drama and making things bigger than they are.
At the end of the day, you can always remember the fun times you’ve shared and keep that experience close to your heart without holding any grudges.
2. Laughter non-stop
You have your inside jokes that obviously no one around you gets. A shared sense of humor is the best.
You formed the connection by using just words and not getting involved in something on a more deeper physical or emotional level. Yeah, there’s a first time for everything, right?
Because it’s so relaxing, a smile is constantly on your face. He doesn’t have to be present and conversation doesn’t have to take place at that exact moment, as just thinking about it makes you giggle and gives you some sense of warmth from the inside out.
3. Great way to be between relationships
When you’re on the rebound or getting your life together after a broken relationship, there’s nothing like a flirtationship to get you out of your funk.
This isn’t a serious relationship and it can’t hurt anyone, and it doesn’t restrain you. It keeps things casual.
You can call him when you want to, no strings attached. You can send him text messages or not; it’s up to you.
Although these relationships are completely casual, there is always a possibility of taking things to the next level (Note: Only if both of you feel the same. Otherwise, things will go south for you.)
4. You’re still on the market
You have your flirt buddy, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to stop noticing other men around.
You might go out on a few dates and play your single card while you see where you stand in your flirtationship –will it evolve to a relationship or not?
You always have your options open. You are indeed a free woman getting something on the side. You play by your own rules, when you want it, and how you want it.
5. The endings are less painful
You had fun while it lasted and the ending doesn’t hurt so much. You didn’t get emotionally attached.
You have no real post-breakup things to worry about or the need to think about how to deal with it. All you have to do is stop flirting.
Sure, it’s not that easy not to get emotionally attached, that’s why flirtationships aren’t everyone’s cup of tea.
That’s also why it’s important for you to know what you’re getting yourself into before you start. When it’s all over, you might miss those good days, but it will be way easier than ending a relationship. Less emotions – less pain.
6. It enables and teaches you to live in the moment
You don’t have to worry about the future. A flirtationship gives you its own place and time; all you have to think about is the here and now.
You don’t have to worry about if you’re compatible, he’s committed, he means the things he says, you guys are moving in together, or he wants kids.
Life can get pretty chaotic and it’s completely understandable that more and more people refuse to get into a serious relationship.
It drags so many problems with it, which you haven’t figured out yet. If you’re still wondering what to do with your life and where to start, this is the way to go. Dodge the chaos while you can.
Because there’s nothing beneath the flirtation and you’re okay with keeping things the way they are. There isn’t any responsibility and that’s exactly how you want to live your life right now.
7. You do things because you want to, not because you have to
All that happens is in your control. You don’t have to text him but you can.
You don’t have to show up at some event he is attending but you can. You can do whatever you want.
These flirtationships don’t require your full attention. Let’s say that you can be selfish and think only about yourself without any punishment or responsibility.
8. There are always butterflies
Every time you see your guy’s name on the phone, you’re going to feel butterflies. Every time you go out on a date, you’re going to get excited. The thing with these relationships is that you cannot get bored with each other.
When you want to spend time together, you’re together. When you get tired of each other, you go your separate ways for long enough to miss each other again. Every new meeting gets your blood going because you’re perpetually in the “new crush” phase. It lasts for as long as you want it to last. Isn’t that great – a honeymoon phase that never ends?
9. You’re not committed to anyone
No one is stopping you from having multiple flirtationships at the same time.
Where there’s no emotional attachment, there’s no jealousy. You or your partner have absolutely no right nor reason to prevent the other from seeing other people.
If you want, you can be with someone on Wednesdays and Saturdays, while the other days you can reserve for someone else, or for that matter, yourself too.
Although this all sounds so easy and almost perfect, it’s not that easily done. Not everyone is able to preserve this kind of relationship. Not everyone is able to shut down their feelings and just have fun.
10. When he asks you something, it’s because he really cares
There’s no false pretenses in a relationship like this. When your flirtatious buddy asks you how you’re doing or what you’re up to, it’s because he really cares.
There’s no need for small talk or pretending you care about someone’s feelings just because you’re in a relationship.
If it were a real relationship, the person who is down for some reason would get terribly mad if you don’t acknowledge the fact they are a bit under the weather.
All hell would break loose if you ignore them. This way, your partner really doesn’t have that obligation.
So, you can tell for sure he truly is interested in your mental state or what you’re up to. He’s asking because he really wants to know.
So, there you go. Now that you know how flirtationships work and what you can expect, you can decide whether you’re strong enough to enter an emotionless relationship where only urge and sexual attraction play the main role.
The important thing is that you’re having fun without even the smallest sign of disappointment and heartbreak. Only one question remains – are you up to it?