There’s likely not a single guy or girl on the dating scene who hasn’t had trouble with icebreakers.
The good news is that nowadays, most of the dating game goes on through texting so the only thing you need is conversation starters for texting.
The upside here is that you can’t get tongue-tied and the other person won’t notice your palms sweating and won’t hear your voice cracking or see your hands shaking.
However, sending that first message to someone you like is always tricky. There are tons of doubts you face every time, no matter the experience you have behind you.
How to start a text convo? Should your opening line be a fun question or something more serious?
When do flirty texts become appropriate? How to keep the conversation going?
Well, the good news is that we’ve got your back.
Besides giving you answers to all of these questions, we’re also providing you with the only list of text conversation starters you’ll ever need.
Beware: these are not just good conversation starters for texting, they are the best ever!
8 Dos & Don’ts Of Conversation Starters By Text
Ask a personal question
Many people assume that the best conversation starter is small talk. However, I strongly suggest you begin by asking something personal.
Naturally, you won’t invade the other person’s privacy. After all, you don’t know each other very well just yet and you don’t want to appear too nosy.
On the other hand, this will show your interest in this particular person. It will make you stand out from the crowd of other guys and girls whose opening line is, “What’s up?”
Good morning/goodnight texts
If you don’t know what kind of message you should send to break the ice, a good morning or goodnight text is always a good option.
It’s a good way to start a convo which might last for an entire day (or night).
Keep the conversation going
Regardless of your great conversation starter, you’ll accomplish nothing if you don’t keep the conversation going.
This is why it’s crucial to ask questions that will help the other person open up and engage in the conversation.
No matter what, always give the person you’re talking to your undivided attention. You should both be fully engaged in the conversation.
Once you get an answer to the first message, change the topic or continue the discussion.
The worst thing you can do is send a one-word reply that will imply that you’re not interested or that you’re playing games.
Send flirty texts
If you’re usually anxious about talking to someone you like in person, what you need are flirty text conversation starters.
Trust me, these texts will finish the job!
The trick is that you have to be skillful enough to assess when flirty texts are appropriate.
Some people need more time to relax, while some are up for flirting right away.
Don’t be vulgar
Everyone loves a fun conversation. However, that doesn’t mean that you’re allowed to forget about your manners.
It’s one thing if you have a great sense of humor; in fact, this is what all guys and girls fall for. Nevertheless, using dirty jokes at the beginning of the conversation is never acceptable.
What is crucial here is never to cross the line. Respect your crush’s boundaries and personal space.
Avoid difficult conversation topics
Good conversation starters for texting rarely include overly deep conversation topics.
Yes, you’ve been told to start with something personal.
However, your icebreakers can’t be questions about your crush’s emotional traumas or baggage and don’t talk about things such as private family issues, finances or heartbreaks.
Don’t be too formal
An interesting conversation is never too formal. Remember, this is not a job interview.
The key is to find a balance; be respectful but not uptight. Use some funny conversation starters to help you both relax; trust me, the other side is also nervous.
Don’t double/triple text them
Whatever you do, just send ONE text message at a time. The other person will respond if they want and when they can.
If you double or triple text them, they won’t be fascinated by your level of interest. Instead, you’ll only appear as too needy and desperate.
200 Text Conversation Starters
1. If you had to get rid of all social media, how would you take it?
2. What was a pick-up line that knocked you off your feet?
3. What’s your favorite TV show?
4. Tell me three things from your bucket list.
5. How do you picture your dream job?
6. Do you have a favorite place where you enjoy spending time alone with your thoughts?
7. When was the last time you kissed someone for the first time?
8. If you had more free time, how would you spend it?
9. Do you listen to podcasts? Which one is your favorite?
10. When you meet someone for the first time, do you prefer small talk or deep conversations?
11. Do you think someone can have more than one best friend?
12. Which family member do you get along the worst with?
13. If you could eat one ice cream flavor for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
14. What’s your most ridiculous pet peeve?
15. If you could go on a road trip right now, who would you take with you?
16. Are you a loner or do you prefer being surrounded by a lot of people?
17. What’s the worst thing that could happen to you at this moment?
18. What do you honestly think about social media?
19. What is the personality trait/type of behavior that can spoil your first impression of someone?
20. Where would you take me on our perfect date night?
21. What’s an emoji that describes your current mood the best?
22. Tell me two of your strangest quirks.
23. What’s your dream first date?
24. What is the most relatable meme you’ve seen so far?
25. What’s your all-time favorite movie?
26. Who is a famous person you would love to meet in real life? Why?
27. What are the conversation topics you hate the most?
28. Do you think we have any shared interests? Let’s try guessing them.
29. How would you describe yourself in five words?
30. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
31. When was the last time someone saw you crying?
32. Is there someone you can’t imagine your life without?
33. What is your biggest obsession?
34. Are you superstitious? What’s your silliest superstition you can’t seem to get rid of?
35. Do you have any pets? If yes, tell me more about them. If not, what pet would you like to have?
36. What is your most important relationship deal-breaker?
37. Do you consider yourself too picky?
38. What is the one thing you never tolerate in people, including your best friends and family members?
39. When you were younger, what did you want to become when you grew up?
40. What do you think is the best part of a romantic relationship?
41. If you could invite me on a dream vacation, where would you take me?
42. Do you get the job done right away or are you a procrastinator?
43. How do you usually spend time with your friends?
44. What is your all-time favorite love story?
45. If you could choose one person, living or dead, to have dinner with, who would it be?
46. Have you ever experienced love at first sight? Do you believe that it exists?
47. How many things have you crossed off your bucket list?
48. How do you remember high school? Was it a good experience or something you wish you could forget?
49. What do you think is your worst flaw?
50. What do you think is your best quality?
51. Do you believe in first impressions?
52. Do you follow your brain or do you usually listen to your heart?
53. What are the worst and the best experiences you had on Tinder (or some other dating app)?
54. What is your favorite physical activity?
55. What is the one material possession you couldn’t imagine your life without?
56. What was the best present you have ever been given?
57. What makes you anxious or nervous?
58. What is your biggest talent?
59. Who would you like to get stuck in an elevator with?
60. What is your most irrational phobia?
61. Was this how you imagined your adulthood to be?
62. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
63. How do you feel about modern dating? What do you like about it? What do you hate about it the most?
64. What is your favorite part of the day and why?
65. What is your most embarrassing moment from childhood or high school?
66. If you were given one million dollars right now, what would be the first thing you’d buy?
67. If you had the chance to start your own business, what would it be?
68. What is your dream city?
69. Do you prefer road trips or plane rides?
70. What is the riskiest thing you’re ready to do for love?
71. Are you adventurous or do you prefer sticking to your comfort zone?
72. Do you believe in female-male friendships?
73. Would you rather work on your dream job for less money or have a career you don’t like but earn more money?
74. What is your favorite quote from a book or movie?
75. What is the one song that can always make you cry?
76. What is the most dangerous situation you’ve ever found yourself in?
77. What do you think is the worst thing most people who don’t really know you think of you?
78. What song describes the state of your emotions at this moment?
79. Who is your favorite author?
80. What’s the best thing that has happened to you this year?
81. If you had to choose between being cheap or being a spendthrift, which option would you pick?
82. What song/book/movie title describes your life the best?
83. Do you remember the person you had your first kiss with?
84. If you had power over the entire world for one week, what would be the first thing you’d do?
85. What do you consider to be your greatest blessing?
86. How long does it take you to start considering someone to be your real friend?
87. What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you?
88. What are the three things you would tell your younger self?
89. How do you think others see you?
90. What is more important: friendship or romantic love?
91. What is something you could never joke about?
92. If you had to choose between butterflies in your stomach and love that feels like home, what kind of romance would you pick?
93. Are you where you want to be in life? If not, what needs to be changed?
94. Do you believe in love?
95. Do you think that currently, you’re the best possible version of yourself? If you know you need to progress, what’s stopping you from achieving it?
96. Do you think people can change? If yes, how and why do you think it usually happens?
97. What is your biggest regret?
98. Do you think that putting yourself first is selfish? Or is it how things should be? Elaborate on your answer.
99. Would you rather live forty years the way you want or eighty years without enjoying life?
100. Who is the most important person in your life?
101. What do you think about tattoos? Do you have any? If yes, where and how many? Do they have a particular meaning? If no, what tattoo would you get?
102. What is your most annoying habit?
103. What is the name of your first crush?
104. What is the most addictive thing you’ve ever done?
105. What is the kind of job you could never do, regardless of the pay?
106. Do you believe in destiny or in free will?
107. What is the strangest thing you’ve heard this week?
108. What is your favorite sport?
109. What you would like to be remembered for?
110. What’s the worst first date you can imagine?
111. What was the best first date you’ve ever been on?
112. If you could choose to live in one historical period, which one would you pick?
113. If you could choose to belong to some other nation, besides your own, what would it be?
114. If you went to college, what was your major?
115. What is it that you’ve been wanting to do but can’t find the time for?
116. If you had to drink only alcohol or only coffee for the rest of your life, which would it be?
117. Whom do you look up to?
118. Are you more of a morning person or a night person?
119. What do you like the most about your job?
120. What do you hate the most about your job?
121. What is the farthest destination you’ve ever visited?
122. If nobody wanted to go with you on your dream vacation, would you rather go alone or stay at home?
123. Good morning, little ray of sunshine. I hope your day goes amazingly.
124. Good night. Just to let you know I was thinking about you all day long. Sweet dreams.
125. What is your favorite outfit? Do you prefer dressing casually or formally?
126. Tell me your favorite joke.
127. If you had a lot of money but could support only one charity, which one would it be?
128. Are you more spontaneous or do you prefer to have everything planned ahead?
129. Is there a person in this world whose advice you’ll always blindly listen to?
130. Who’s the biggest authoritative figure in your life?
131. Do you have any prejudices? If so, which ones?
132. If you had to choose, would you pick a white lie or a harsh truth?
133. When you don’t like someone, how do you usually behave?
134. What do you think other people find attractive about you?
135. How do you feel about your last relationship?
136. Do you believe in friendships with ex-partners?
137. Have you ever been in a long-distance relationship?
138. How would you know if someone was right for you?
139. What is the biggest expectation you have of yourself?
140. What kind of a parent do you think you would be? If you’re already a parent, do you think you’re a good one?
141. Who is the one teacher who left a mark on you? Why?
142. What is your go-to happy thought?
143. Do you believe in soulmates?
144. If you had to choose, which would you pick: a once-in-a-lifetime love or once-in-a-lifetime compatibility (where one excludes the other)?
145. Do you consider yourself to be romantic?
146. What was the most romantic thing you’ve ever done for a partner?
147. What was the most romantic gesture an ex-partner even did for you?
148. Would you like to become famous or not? Why?
149. When was the last time you truly fell in love?
150. Do you trust people easily or are you extra careful?
151. Do you think a friendship can evolve into romantic love?
152. If you could change one thought about your childhood, what would it be?
153. If you were an animal, what do you think you would be? Why?
154. If you were a superhero, who do you think you would be? Why?
155. If you could take one thing from history and incorporate it into today’s world, what would it be?
156. What is your guilty pleasure?
157. What is the trashiest item of clothing that you have?
158. What does your dream house look like?
159. What was your most embarrassing outfit?
160. Do you celebrate ‘couples’ holidays, such as an anniversary or Valentine’s Day?
161. Have you ever gone through with a New Year’s resolution?
162. Do you believe in horoscopes?
163. What is your zodiac sign?
164. Do you believe in miracles?
165. What do you wish for when you see a falling star?
166. What is your favorite holiday?
167. What’s your best Christmas memory ever?
168. What is the most important thing about friendship for you?
169. What kind of relationship do you have with your parents?
170. Do you have any siblings? What kind of a relationship do you have with them?
171. What are some things that make you feel proud of yourself?
172. What is the hardest decision you ever had to make?
173. How would your perfect day look? Describe it to me from dawn until dusk.
174. Are you still in touch with your childhood friends?
175. What do you think the child you were would tell the person you’ve become?
176. What do you enjoy doing the most when you’re sad or stressed out?
177. If you got hold of a book that tells the story of your entire life, would you read the last page?
178. Who or what can always make you cry?
179. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
180. What was your favorite school subject?
181. Which celebrity would you like to hang out with? Why?
182. If you knew you wouldn’t get caught, what would be the first thing you’d do?
183. What do you consider to be the most important quality in a person?
184. Tell me a secret only a few people know.
185. What’s the most common wrong prejudice people tend to make about you?
186. What book has affected your life the most?
187. If you had to eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
188. When did you disappoint yourself the most?
189. What is the most difficult life goal you set for yourself?
190. What is the stupidest thing you’ve ever done for love?
191. What is the funniest text message you’ve ever received?
192. How do you see yourself looking once you grow old?
193. What is your favorite cuisine?
194. Hey, how is your week going?
195. What is the most exciting thing that has happened to you today?
196. If you had to choose one day to be your Groundhog Day, what would it be?
197. Are you spiritual/religious?
198. If you met a genie in a bottle, what are the three wishes you would ask for?
199. Are you a dog or a cat person? Why?
200. Why can’t you usually sleep during your sleepless nights?
To wrap up:
Even though these were originally meant to be conversation starters for texting, you can also use them while talking to your crush face-to-face as well.
It doesn’t matter whether you met someone on a dating app or in person; these icebreakers will help you a lot.