There is always that one person you poured all your dreams, efforts and expectations into only to get the worst of them in return.
That’s the first time you learned that the saying, “ No expectations, no disappointments”, as cliché as it may sound, is actually true.
As hard as it may be to come to terms with it, it’s all part of life . The less we expect from people the less they can hurt us.
Broken expectations mean broken trust. You just can’t put your faith in that person again. What if giving them another chance is just another chance for them to kill your hopes?
Betrayal by someone you care for is something you can never fully recover from. It makes you start doubting everyone around you.
There is no letting go because no matter how much you try, you just can’t forget.
Still, life goes on and you keep expecting things even if you are not aware of it.
To be honest, we all have some expectations of others and ourselves. We all create a scenario in our minds of how life should look and we firmly believe in it.
Some people have unrealistically high expectations of themselves or others and they aren’t even aware of it .
This is mostly due to the influence the Internet and social media have on all of us. People aren’t always sincere on social media . They pretend they have perfect lives and that’s where our jealousy grows.
Unfortunately, we often aren’t aware of how that harms our mental well-being . While we work hard to fulfill our expectations, we become stressed and we ignore all the other important things in our lives.
Those unrealistic and unfulfilled expectations we burden ourselves with always lead to disappointment .
Sadly, most of the time, we aren’t able to live up to those expectations. We start thinking about how we aren’t good enough and that’s why we’re always disappointed.
Don’t get me wrong. It’s nice to have goals for the future and having realistic expectations is important for reaching them.
Don’t expect more from yourself than you can give and achieve. You should never put yourself under too much pressure.
Are there any benefits of expectations – and I mean high and unrealistic expectations ? No. Those unreachable expectations will always leave you with a feeling of disappointment.
Don’t worry if you can’t always fulfill other’s unrealistic expectations, even if they are people who are important to you. You can’t always please everyone.
If they are disappointed by those unfulfilled expectations , in time they’ll understand that it was a mistake to expect so much from you.
You should also have no expectations of other people, or at least, you should lower them. That way, people won’t disappoint you or let you down.
Focus on the present. Enjoy the little things in life . Be an optimistic person . Believe that other people are good but never expect too much from anyone.
Appreciate your life and thank God for everything you have. Do good to others but don’t expect that they’ll always do the same for you. Live in the place of infinite possibility.
“No expectations, no disappointments” – inspirational quotes
1. “If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed.” – Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
2. “Disappointment is the nurse of wisdom.” – Sir Bayle Roche
3. “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.” – Alexander Pope
4. “Expectations were like fine pottery. The harder you held them, the more likely they were to crack.” – Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings
5. “Expectations may sometimes lead you to disappointments, but the anger of getting disappointment may sometimes lead you to what you expected.” – Nitin Alok
6. “Disappointment is a sort of bankruptcy – the bankruptcy of a soul that expends too much in hope and expectation.” – Eric Hoffer
7. “If you expect nothing, you can never be disappointed. Apart from a few starry-eyed poets or monks living on a mountaintop somewhere, however, we all have expectations. We not only have them, but we also need them. They fuel our dreams, our hopes, and our lives like some super-caffeinated energy drink.” – Tonya Hurley, Homecoming
8. “Disappointment is just the action of your brain readjusting itself to reality after discovering things are not the way you thought they were.” – Brad Warner
9. “Destroying the seeds of disappointment requires you to unexpect the expected.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
10. “Expectation. That is the true soul of art. If you can give a man more than he expects, then he will laud you his entire life. If you can create an air of anticipation and feed it properly, you will succeed.” – Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance
11. “Hope and expectations are different names for the first part of the path to disappointment.” – Unknown
12. “Expectations are dangerous when they are both too high and unformed.” – Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
13. “Expectation is the only seed of disappointment.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
14. “Peace begins when expectation ends.” – Sri Chinmoy, Perfection and Transcendence
15. ” No expectations mean there is no risk of disappointment.” – Jude Morgan
16. “Do everything with a good heart and expect nothing in return, and you will never be disappointed.” – Budha
17. “Expectations give us more pain, so don’t expect anything from anyone.” – Unknown
18. “Be realistic with your expectations. I’d really like to cuddle a unicorn, but it ain’t going to happen.” – India Knight
19. “Expectations should not always be taken as reality; because you never know when you will be disappointed.” – Samuel P. Huntington
20. “Expectation has brought me disappointment. Disappointment has brought me wisdom. Acceptance, gratitude and appreciation have brought me joy and fulfillment.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
21. “Don’t expect things to happen. It’s better to be surprised than to be disappointed.” – Unknown
22. “Disappointment will come when your effort does not give you the expected return.” – Chetan Bhagat
23. “Expect everything so that nothing comes unexpected.” – Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
24. “If you expect great things of yourself and demand little of others, you’ll keep resentment far away.” – Confucius, The Analects
25. “Expectation is another word for disappointment.” – Unknown
26. “Disappointments are everyday cuts that must be taken care of or else death will come from profuse bleeding of the soul.” – Unknown
27. “Expectations should not always be taken as reality; because you never know when you will be disappointed.” – Samuel P. Huntington
28. “Disappointment is a beautiful sadness, a fitting end to a tragic tale of expectations.” – Unknown
29. “Expectation has brought me disappointment. Disappointment has brought me wisdom. Acceptance, gratitude and appreciation have brought me joy and fulfillment.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
30. “… expectations are resentments under construction.” – Anne Lamott, Almost Everything: Notes on Hope
31. “No laugh, no cry. No happiness, no sorrow. No expectation, no depression.” – Tahsinur Rahman Shihan
“No expectations, no disappointments” – life quotes
1. “Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.” – Jodi Picoult
2. “You will end up really disappointed if you think people will do for you as you do for them. Not everyone has the same heart as you.” – Unknown
3. “Sometimes when you get disappointment it makes you stronger.” – David Rudisha
4. “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” – Donald Miller
5. “I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep my expectations.” – Bill Watterson
6. “Sometimes we expect more from others because we would be willing to do that much for them.” – Unknown
7. “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” – Bruce Lee
8. “I’m never shocked when people let me down nowadays. I just hate the fact that I put myself in a position to be let down in the first place.” – Unknown
9. “Look. I have a strategy. Why expect anything? If you don’t expect anything, you don’t get disappointed.” – Patricia McCormick, Cut
10. “There were two ways to be happy: improve your reality, or lower your expectations” – Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes
11. “My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus.” – Stephen W. Hawking
12. “A perfect life is to have expectations without disappointment.” – Unknown
13. “I hope you do not let anyone else’s expectations direct the course of your life.” – Julianne Donaldson, Edenbrooke
14. “It is our fate in life to be disappointed . The human mind is so vast and full of imagination that real life will never live up to its expectations.” – Unknown
15. “…when you let go of your expectations, when you accept life as it is, you’re free.To hold on is to be serious and uptight. To let go is to lighten up.” – Richard Carlson
16. “A life that is burdened with expectations is a heavy life. Its fruit is sorrow and disappointment.” – Douglas Adams
17. “Expect the unexpected without expectations.” – Pedro Gaspar Fernandes
18. “Life was easier when you stopped caring, when you stopped expecting things to get better.” – Cora Carmack, Finding It
19. “People who don’t expect justice don’t have to suffer disappointment.” – Isaac Asimov, The Robots of Dawn
20. “…You don’t always get what you expect. I wish someone, sometime when I was growing up, would have told me what expectations would get me. …
21. Our parents, schools, everyone tells us things will be a certain way when we’re adults and if they’re not that way, we should make them be; or at least pretend. But after a certain point that just doesn’t work.” – Chris Crutcher
22. “Sometimes, when something you dreamed of doesn’t happen, a sigh of relief is in order rather than disappointment.” – Unknown
23. “If life doesn’t live up fully to your expectations you need to change your point of view or change your expectations.” – Steven Redhead, Life Is a Dance
24. “How disappointing, when people succumb to what is expected of them.” – Lauren Groff, Arcadia
25. “When suffering a blow of disappointment, take time to heal one’s wounds. One can go on, surely, but without the strength necessary to succeed.” – Unknown
26. “More and more, I think you should have no expectations and do everything for its own sake. That way you won’t be hit in the head quite so frequently.” – Edward Gorey, Ascending Peculiarity: Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey
“No expectations, no disappointments” – love quotes
1. “Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation.” – Unknown
2. “Never get too attached to anyone, it will lead to expectations and expectations always lead to disappointments …Anticipate everything and expect nothing.” – Unknown
3. “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you.” – Unknown
4. “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” – William Shakespeare
5. “Marriages that end in a disappointment happen when expectations from both partners are not put on the table.” – Unknown
6. “Never get too attached to anyone unless they also feel the same towards you because one-sided expectations can kill you.” – Unknown
7. “Do not believe others when they say they love you. If you do not see the actions with your own eyes, you shall experience disappointment.” – Unknown
8. “When you Love.. you Expect.. Once u start Expecting.. you have Hope.. Hope in return makes you put Trust.. and Trust makes you prone to Betrayal.. and when you are Betrayed.. Hell falls over you…!!!” – Abhijeet Sawant
9. “Even the ones who love you most will let you down. They are the ones who will disappoint you more because your expectations of them are higher. When you feel like they have let you down, you need to realize that it is not them who have let you down, but it is only your expectations that were not met.” – Pinkie Numa
10. “You don’t shackle the people you love with expectations and demands. You want them to be free.” – Marty Rubin