Let’s face it. One of the hardest things to do is letting the past go, especially when that is the best conscious choice you have to make to save yourself.
On one hand, you know that is something you have to do and your mind is telling you that it is the only right decision for you to make.
On the other, you can’t order your heart not to feel the pain that is tearing your entire being apart – that is the concept of the fine mingling of letting go and holding on.
This goes for love, friendships, and every relationship in our life. Letting go means accepting that we have to move on from someone who matters the world.
However, letting go is often not a one-time thing. The process of letting go lasts some time, managing to overcome it can be the ultimate challenge, and you’re the only person who can win it.
It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for letting go quotes on Tumblr or letting go quotes with images, or just reading letting go inspirational quotes, remember that the language of letting go quotes are moving and touching, but that is exactly what you need in these times.
Sometimes letting go quotes can reopen the wounds in your heart, but don’t forget that is all part of the healing process.
Even if we are sometimes unaware of this, the only thing that can help us in moments like this are words of encouragement, a mantra we can say to ourselves every day to look past the pain that a broken heart brings and see that an abundant world awaits us.
These inspiring letting go quotes will do just that.
We really do need that tiny push that will make us move on, force us to finally take a big leap from the past to the future, and see the light in all the darkness that surrounds us.
That will help us see that there is always hope and that one day, it will get better.
No matter how slow the healing process might be, the important thing is that we place one foot in front of the other and walk towards our future instead of constantly looking back and dwelling on all the what-ifs.
Letting go of the past, of people and situations that weren’t meant to be, is the best and only option we have.
Relationships should never be forced or begged for; they should be as natural as breathing and they should come from both ends.
We are sometimes so blinded by a momentary situation and the fact that moving on gives us a hard time, we don’t see the bigger picture.
We don’t see all the benefits of letting go and letting things take their own course.
We often forget that everything happens for a reason and for a bigger cause. That when one door closes, new doors always open.
However, let today be different. Let today be the day you make some big changes and decide to finally enter those new doors of your life.
Today expect to become a new, improved version of yourself. Start by looking at these incredible quotes on letting go to find the inspiration you need to move on.
Keep on reading and find inspirational quotes about letting go by some famous and respected people, such as Ann Lander, Mandy Hale, Deborah Reber, Deepak Chopra, Daphne Rose Kingma, Fridtjof Nansen, Amit Ray, Tony Shwartz, Joseph Campbell, Raymond Lindquist, Jeffrey McDaniel, Ralph Marston, Alyson Noel, Oprah Winfrey, Tony Schwartz, Denis Waitley, Jeremy Aldana, Nicole Sobon, Herman Hesse, Denis Watley, Jessica Hatchigan, Eleanor Brownn, Leo F. Buscaglia, Hal Tipper, as well as some fascinating quotes from unknown authors.
Letting Go Quotes For Him
Some people might think that most men aren’t sensitive and that they have no trouble whatsoever walking away from a relationship and overcoming their disappointments of the past. However, the truth is different.
Yes, some guys appear tough and they are without doubt physically the stronger sex.
However, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t subject to suffering and that they don’t show signs of great strength when they struggle with themselves.
Men also have a fragile heart and there are times when they crave words of comfort that will remind them that tomorrow is always a new day and that new life lies ahead.
1. “Let things go. Release them. Detach yourself from them. Stop turning on your emotional television to watch the same program over and over again, the one that shows how much you suffered from a certain loss: that is only poisoning you, nothing else.” Paulo Coelho
2. “Know this: you can start over, each morning.” Tyler Joseph
3. “I’m guilty of giving people more chances than they deserve but when I’m done, I’m done.” Turcois Ominek
4. “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” Steve Maraboli
5. “You are conditioned to believe that if you let go, if you surrender, you will either be a victim of circumstances and not assertive in your own being, or you will be viewed as being lazy, lacking in willpower, and unmotivated. Yet will and power cannot exist alongside one another. Motivation does not come into question when you surrender fully into the present moment. Motivation to do, to take action, to make moves, comes naturally from this surrender.” Kelly Martin
6. “The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.” Steve Maraboli
7. “The only thing a person can ever really do is keep moving forward. Take that big leap forward without hesitation, without once looking back. Simply forget the past and forge toward the future.” Alyson Noel
8. “Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open.” Ralph Marston
9. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.” Jeffrey McDaniel
10. “You’ve got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old – whatever the old means for you.” Sarah Ban Breathnach
11. “Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.” Raymond Lindquist
12. “When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” Alexander Graham Bell
13. “Let go of certainty. The opposite isn’t uncertainty. It’s openness, curiosity and a willingness to embrace paradox, rather than choose up sides. The ultimate challenge is to accept ourselves exactly as we are, but never stop trying to learn and grow.” Tony Schwartz
14. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” Guy Finley
15. “Sometimes the hardest part isn’t letting go but rather learning to start over.” Nicole Sobon
Letting Go Quotes For Her
Looking for some motivational “this is me letting you go quotes?” Well, you’ve come to the right place!
These sad letting go quotes for her are meant for every woman who needs the courage to move on from a toxic partner and disappointments from the past. Quotes for every girl who got the courage to break her own heart and to do the right thing, despite the pain it made her feel.
1. “And then I had to let you go. I had to. Because if I didn’t, it would have destroyed me.” Unknown
2. “Don’t be afraid of losing someone who doesn’t feel lucky to have you.” Unknown
3. “I’ve learned a lot this year… I learned that things don’t always turn out the way you planned, or the way you think they should. And I’ve learned that there are things that go wrong that don’t always get fixed or get put back together the way they were before. I’ve learned that some broken things stay broken, and I’ve learned that you can get through bad times and keep looking for better ones, as long as you have people who love you.” Jennifer Weiner
4. “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of incredible change.” Shannon L. Alder
5. “To let go is to release the images and emotions, the fears, the clingings and disappointments of the past that bind our spirit.” Jack Kornfield
6. “The greatest loss of time is delay and expectation, which depend upon the future. We let go the present, which we have in our power, and look forward to that which depends upon chance, and so relinquish a certainty for an uncertainty.” Seneca
7. “Once you realize you deserve a bright future, letting go of your dark past is the best choice you will ever make.” Roy T. Bennett
8. “In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself.” Deepak Chopra
9. “We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don’t have something better.” C. JoyBell C.
10. “Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it. It’s like boats. You keep your motor on so you can steer with the current. And when you hear the sound of the waterfall coming nearer and nearer, tidy up the boat, put on your best tie and hat, and smoke a cigar right up till the very moment you go over. That’s a triumph.” Ray Bradbury
11. “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.’” Joel Osteen
12. “Letting go may sound so simple, but rarely is it a one-time thing. Just keep letting go, until one day it’s gone for good.” Eleanor Brownn
13. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” Herman Hesse
14. “Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday. Realize the past no longer holds you captive. It can only continue to hurt you if you hold on to it. Let the past go. A simply abundant world awaits.” Sarah Ban Breathnach
15. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energy moving forward together towards an answer.” Denis Waitley
Letting Go Of Anger Quotes
Sometimes, even after we physically move on from a person who’s done us harm, resentment remains. Even though we try so hard to forget about everything that went on, there are moments when anger consumes us completely and when we can’t enjoy the beautiful journey of today because of all that happened yesterday. Well, these letting go of anger quotes are exactly for those types of situations.
1. “One of the hardest lessons is letting go. Whether it’s guilt, anger, love, loss, or betrayal. Change isn’t easy. We fight to hold on and we fight to let go.” Mareez Reyes
2. “If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.” C. JoyBell C.
3. “It can be hard to forgive and let go but it’s important to remember that harboring the resentment and holding a grudge can hurt you even more. The word ‘forgive’ really means to give something up for yourself, not for them.” Unknown
4. “It’s not worth the anger. Energy is everything. Be careful where you spend your energy, because you won’t get time back.” Tony Gaskins
5. “Stop hurting yourself because you’re angry at someone else.” Karen Salmanhson
Buddhism Letting Go Quotes
As you probably already know, Buddhism is a religion of peace. Religion of inner calmness and a religion of mindfulness. That is why you’re about to read some letting go quotes Buddha left us and some yoga letting go quotes that will definitely help you experience true freedom from within.
1. “You can only lose what you cling to.” Buddha
2. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” Oprah Winfrey
3. “If you have to force it, leave it. Relationships. Friendships. Yoga poses. Perfect ponytails. Let that shit go.” Akua Naru
4. “Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.” Dalai Lama
5. “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.” Thich Nhat Hanh
6. “Let go of the battle. Breathe quietly and let it be. Let your body relax and your heart soften. Open to whatever you experience without fighting.” Jack Kornfield
7. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” Buddha
8. “Let go. Let Be. See through everything and be free, complete, luminous, at home — at ease.” Lama Surya Das
9. “Letting go takes a lot of courage sometimes. But once you let go, happiness comes very quickly. You won’t have to go around search for it.” Thich Nhat Hanh
10. “One of the key paradoxes in Buddhism is that we need goals to be inspired, to grow, and to develop, even to become enlightened, but at the same time we must not get overly fixated or attached to these aspirations. If the goal is noble, your commitment to the goal should not be contingent on your ability to attain it, and in pursuit of our goal, we must release our rigid assumptions about how we must achieve it. Peace and equanimity come from letting go of our attachment to the goal and the method. That is the essence of acceptance. Reflecting.” Dalai Lama
Fear Of Letting Go Quotes
Be honest: how many times have you searched for I’m letting go quotes, determined to end your lousy relationship? How many times have you actually done something about it and made it past just reading the quotes?
You see, the most difficult part of moving on is the fear of doing so. It is you wondering whether you’ll make it, how you’ll survive without this person not being by your side and, above all, whether this decision is the right one. These inspirational letting go quotes are there to give you just the words you need to overcome this fear that paralyzes you and make you remember that a new day always awaits you.
1. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” Ann Lander
2. “You only struggle because you’re ready to grow but aren’t willing to let go.” Drew Gerald
3. “Let things go. Release them. Detach yourself from them. Stop turning on your emotional television to watch the same program over and over again, the one that shows how much you suffered from a certain loss: that is only poisoning you, nothing else.” Paulo Coelho
4. “One of the most courageous decisions you’ll ever make is to finally let go of what is hurting your heart and soul.” Brigitte Nicole
5. “You can’t possibly embrace that new relationship, that new companion, that new career, that new friendship, or that new life you want, while you’re still holding on to the baggage of the last one. Let go… and allow yourself to embrace what is waiting for you right at your feet.” S. Maraboli
6. “If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.” Michael Bassey Johnson
7. “When we think we have been hurt by someone in the past, we build up defenses to protect ourselves from being hurt in the future. So the fearful past causes a fearful future and the past and future become one. We cannot love when we feel fear… When we release the fearful past and forgive everyone, we will experience total love and oneness with all.” Gerald G. Jampolsky
8. “What happens when you let go when your strength leaves you and you sink into darkness, when there’s nothing that you or anyone else can do, no matter how desperate you are, no matter how you try? Perhaps it’s then, when you have neither pride nor power, that you are saved, brought to an unimaginably great reward.” Mark Halperin
9. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” Helen Keller
10. “You don’t need strength to let go of something. What you really need is understanding.” Guy Finley
Loving and Letting Go Quotes
Have you ever been in a situation where you’re struggling to let go of the person you still have deep feelings for, which are the very reason you can’t move on from them? When you can’t enjoy the art of living with or without them?
In a situation where your heart refuses to accept that someone is just a part of your history and not a part of your destiny? If you have, these moving on and letting go quotes about love are just for you.
1. “If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don’t, they never were.” Kahlil Gibran
2. “Sometimes holding on does more damage than letting go.” Unknown
3. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” Roy T. Bennett
4. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” Deborah Reber
5. “I am too full of life to be half-loved.” Ijeoma Umebinyuo
6. “Letting go doesn’t mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.” Unknown
7. “If you didn’t love him, this never would have happened. But you did. And accepting that love and everything that followed it is part of letting it go.” Sarah Dessen
8. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” S. Maraboli
9. “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.” Gautama Buddha
10. “I demolish my bridges behind me… then there is no choice but to move forward.” Fridtjof Nansen
11. “Letting go. Everyone talks about it like it’s the easiest thing. Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open. But my hand has been clenched into a fist for three years now; it’s frozen shut.” Gayle Forman
12. “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.” Mandy Hale
13. “Some people are meant to stay while others are meant to leave and there’s really no important difference between the two. Except for the way you change when you realize you have nothing else left to give.” R. M. Drake
14. “It is not lies or a lack of loyalty that ends a relationship. It is the agonizing truth that one person feels in their heart on a daily basis. It is realizing that you are coping and not living. It is the false belief that there is a verse, quote, phrase or talk that will magically make you feel content, complete or not care. However, it doesn’t last longer than a few days, before your mind and heart goes back to what it wants. It is the moment you realize that you left without ever leaving. It is the moment you realize that fear, shame or guilt is the only thing standing in the way of the life God meant for you to live.” Shannon L. Alder
15. “I love you for a hundred reasons, but I’m letting you go for a hundred more.” Unknown
Not Letting Go Quotes
How can you tell when it’s time to let go and when it’s time to hold on? Read these quotes and you might find the answer.
1. “There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this.” Terry Pratchett
2. “Life is just a slide. Back and forth between loving and leaving, remembering and forgetting, holding on and letting go.” Nicole Lyons
3. “The only real battle in life is between hanging on and letting go.” S. L. Alder
4. “You’ll never get what you truly deserve if you remain attached to what you’re supposed to let go of.” Genereux Philip
5. “Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing there’s a future.” Daphne Rose Kingma
6. “Why let go of yesterday? Because yesterday has already let go of you.” S. Maraboli
7. “Life moves on and so should we.” Spencer Johnson
8. “Being happy is letting go of what slows you down.” Mike Falzone
9. “Letting go is the willingness to change your beliefs in order to bring more peace and joy into your life instead of holding onto beliefs that bring pain and suffering…” Hal Tipper
10. “If you want to fly in the sky, you need to leave the earth. If you want to move on, you need to let go the past that drags you down.” Amit Ray
11. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” Joseph Campbell
12. “We need to learn to let go as easily as we grasp and we will find our hands full and our minds empty.” Leo F. Buscaglia
13. “All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.” H. Havelock Ellis
14. “There’s an important difference between giving up and letting go.” Jessica Hatchigan
15. “Things sometimes go our way and sometimes they don’t. All we can do is apply ourselves to our profession, giving our very best effort but emotionally letting go of the outcome. Why? Because if we obsess about an outcome, we cannot possibly honour the present.” Christopher Dines
Forgiveness and Letting Go Quotes
You can never truly move on from someone who has done you harm until you really forgive them for everything, even though that is the last thing they deserve. Forgiveness is something you have to do for your own sake and it is the only way to get rid of the emotional baggage of your past traumas. These let go and live quotes will help you do just that: accept the apologies you never got and give you the strength you need to be the better man and forgive.
1. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move on.” S. Maraboli
2. “Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.” S. L. Alder
3. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” S. Maraboli
4. “Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions.” Gerald G. Jampolsky
5. “Forgiveness comes much later if at all
Sometimes after a lifetime of negotiation
With your demons
Words you could have said
Or left unsaid
Bruises you could have hidden
With a little make-up
And things would have been just fine
Until the next time.” Nalini Priyadarshni
6. “There’s a destructive power in unforgiveness and unforgiveness controls you in a negative way. It’s time to let it all go! You become strong when you genuinely forgive. You become empowered when you genuinely forgive. You gain back your inner peace when you genuinely forgive. You release stress, bitterness and anger when you genuinely forgive. But most importantly, you’re able to live your best life when you genuinely forgive. Give yourself permission to live life free of toxic thoughts, feelings, and energy. Forgive!” Stephanie Lahart
7. “Forgiving doesn’t mean forgetting, nor does it mean approving of, what someone did. It just means that you’re letting go of the anger toward that person.” Frank Sonnenber
8. “I forgive so I can move on, but I can’t forget because words are like magnets that stick on your brain.” Zybejta “Beta” Metani’ Marashi
9. “When a deep injury is done to us, we never heal until we forgive.” Nelson Mandela
10. “It can be hard to forgive and let go but it’s important to remember that harboring the resentment and holding a grudge can hurt you even more. The word ‘forgive’ really means to give something up for yourself not for them.” Jack Canfield
Letting Your Child Go Quotes
Up until now, each one of these series of quotes were mostly of the same type: letting go of you quotes and letting go of love quotes. But what about family relations? What about something every parent has to face: letting their children go?
Of course, here the situation is quite different because you’re not cutting all ties with your children and you’re not kicking them out of your life. However, accepting that your children are grownups, that it’s time for them to leave their family nest and start their own journey, isn’t easy.
1. “Being a good parent requires knowing when to push, when to back off, when to help, when to let them make mistakes and then being strong enough to watch them go.” Unknown
2. “There are two times when parenting is the most difficult. When the baby first arrives at home and when the adult first leaves home.” Jennifer Quinn
3. “Sometimes the best way to help your kid is to not help them.” Kirsten Welch
4. “Let your boys test their wings. They may not be eagles, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t soar free.” C.J. Milbrandt
5. “There are two gifts we should give to our children. One is roots and the other is wings.” Unknown
6. “To raise a child, who is comfortable enough to leave you means you’ve done your job. They’re not ours to keep, but to teach them to soar on our own.”
7. “A wise parent humors the desire for independent action, so as to become the friend and advisor when his absolute rule shall cease.” Elizabeth Gaskell
8. “However painful the process of leaving home, for parents and for children, the really frightening thing for both would be the prospect of the child never leaving home.” Robert Neely Bellah
9. “There isn’t a child who hasn’t gone out into the brave new world who eventually doesn’t return to the old homestead carrying a bundle of dirty clothes.” Art Buchwald
10. “Whatever they grow up to be, they are still our children, and the one most important of all things we can give to them is unconditional love. Not a love that depends on anything at all except that they are our children.” Rosaleen Dickson
Letting Go Of A Loved One Who Is Dying Quotes
Nevertheless, the hardest thing in life is having to accept that your loved one is going to heaven and that life has to move on without them. You want to say goodbye and come to terms with the fact that this is all a part of life’s cycle and you want to believe that God will watch over them in the afterlife.
However, at the same time, you can’t seem to let go of them, knowing that you’re losing them forever. So, here are some quotes that might give you at least some comfort in these devastating moments.
1. “Life moves forward. The old leaves wither, die and fall away, and the new growth extends forward into the light.” Bryant McGill
2. “Pain will leave you when you let go.” Jeremy Aldana
3. “Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” Terry Pratchet
4. “I’ll be seeing you
In all the old places
That this heart of mind embraces
All day through.” Billie Holiday
5. “The dying don’t need your permission to let go.” Unknown
6. “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.” Isaac Asimov
7. “Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it.” Haruki Murakami
8. “For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.” Kahlil Gibran
9. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” Rumi
10. “When someone we love dies the hardest part is not letting go of someone we have lost. It’s finding the strength and having the courage to move on without them.” Unknown
I hope you’ve found the quote that is just right for you. Now write it down on a Post-it or print it, then frame it and place it somewhere where you can see it every day.
Let it be your daily reminder that you are on the right track. That you are healing, growing, and evolving, and that life has better things in store for you.
There is always good in goodbye, even if we don’t see it right away. To let go is never easy, but you will realize sooner or later that you need to let some things go so that something better can enter your life.