Having a true platonic friendship is something all of us desire. It’s not quite so easy to find, and we usually spend many years with fake friends who don’t really care about us.
Now, imagine finally filling that void only to have it taken from you one day in an instant. That’s the problem with long distance friendships.
Perhaps they’ve just finished high school and got a new job in another city, or they fell in love with a foreigner. The bottom line is you lost someone dear to you, and you’re not quite sure what to do.
How do you maintain a long distance friendship?
Is it even possible to do so? How?
If you find yourself tormented by these questions, stay with me because we’re about to answer them!
Is Long Distance Friendship Possible?
The answer is yes.
Long distance friendships, or long distance relationships of any kind, can be really hard to bear, and even harder to maintain. You believe that as soon as they go away, that’s it. Nothing will ever be the way it was.
However, it’s actually upon you to not let this happen. It’s not enough to wish for something. You have to put in the necessary effort for your friendship to work.
Text each other, make phone calls, or whatever else you think will help you maintain the friendship because truly, it’s not impossible.
How Do You Survive A Long Distance Friendship?
As we’ve established, if you try hard enough, you will definitely succeed. Loving each other isn’t enough. Good friends show the love they feel in their actions.
But, what actions would that be exactly?
How can you make a long-distance friendship work?
If you seek answers to these questions, that means you care enough to never allow separation from your bff despite the distance. Since you feel this way, here are the hacks that can help you:
1. Accept things as they are
When our long distance friends leave us, it’s natural that we are so overwhelmed with grief that we can’t think straight. Allow yourself to feel your emotions for as long as you need. After all, you did just lose your best friend, didn’t you?
However, you shouldn’t let sadness prevent you from seeking out the best in the current situation. They might be far away, but there are still numerous ways for you to stay friends forever. It is, after all, the era of social media.
2. Make sure you talk regularly
There are so many apps nowadays that you can use to talk to your friend. It doesn’t matter if it’s WhatsApp or Viber, the bottom line is you can easily keep your friendship alive.
If they happen to be too far away, different time zones can get in the way. For instance, I have a friend in Australia, and by the time I wake up, she has already gone to sleep.
Still, we find time for each other. It has been more than four years, but we always know what’s going on in each other’s lives.
Since it isn’t just me who lost her but rather two other friends, we found that a group chat was also the perfect way to keep each other posted about our lives.
The point is, if you really make an effort, you won’t lose your friendship.
3. Be curious about their life
When we don’t see our friends for a very long time, we are tempted to share every little detail of our daily life. In our excitement to include them in our happiness, we often forget to ask them how they’re doing.
I’m often guilty of this, too. Since my friend prefers to be the listener, she rarely talks about herself, and I make the mistake of not asking her.
But, a real best friend realizes that both parties are equally important. If they are inclined towards silence, then get curious and accept the role of a listener this time.
4. See each other on camera
Since it’s impossible to see your friend face-to-face, try the best alternative – video chat.
I don’t know if it has happened to you, too, but I sometimes forget what my friend even looks like. After all, so many years have passed. It’s not the same to receive a picture and see their facial expressions or movements during an actual conversation.
Be thankful for the wonders of technology, and make sure you don’t forget their face even for a second! There are so many applications to choose from – Facetime, Skype, Zoom, etc.
If, on the other hand, you dislike making video calls, that’s perfectly valid. I, myself, belong to this group, so I understand you well.
If you prefer other ways of communication, and you think they are enough to preserve your friendship, then go for it.
5. Do things together
Just because physical distance divides you doesn’t mean you still can’t do things together. In fact, for the sake of your friendship, you SHOULD try to make new experiences no matter how small.
If you want your friendship to be as it once was, here are some suggestions that can help you with that:
- Watch movies.
- Organize book clubs.
- Play ‘Truth or dare?‘.
- Play ‘Most likely to?‘.
- Have a shared fan account.
- Listen to each other’s favorite music.
6. If possible, go visit them
If your friend hasn’t gone too far away, make sure that you visit them every now and then. There are so many places to go and so many things to do! Don’t let distance stop you. Go buy a bus ticket and spend a day together!
Texting can be extremely fun, but it still doesn’t beat face-to-face conversation.
I had the misfortune of befriending people from many different cities. Most of them have gone away, but still, we try to meet up regularly to keep the friendship alive.
If it’s impossible for you to do it, that’s fine. In the end, distance can never harm you if you don’t let it.
7. Reach out first
Sometimes, people truly are busy. Life gets in the way, and they rarely have time to properly communicate with anyone. Their obligations simply don’t allow them to.
However, this doesn’t mean that they no longer care about you. Abandon your pride, and text them first. Don’t always take into account who texted last. If you feel the need to talk, just do it. Tell your best friend how much you love them.
It’s true that both parties need to put in the effort, but there will always come a time when we have to be the person who tries more. While it’s important that your actions are reciprocated, do not hesitate to reach first. See where it goes from there.
On the other hand, if you’re certain that it’s a one-sided friendship, it’s okay to stop trying.
8. Send them memes
When someone’s far away, we tend to focus more on big events worth talking about. We barely realize the relevance of things such as jokes.
If you find a funny meme, why not share it with your friend?
It’s so important that you make each other laugh, whether it’s sending memes, recalling old inside jokes or creating new ones. Not only personal conversations can create a bond. Besides, memes can reveal a lot, can they not?
9. Periods of silence are normal
It’s perfectly understandable if there comes a period when you don’t talk much, especially if you’re adults now. Your life may change drastically, or you wish for it to change, so you focus more on yourself.
Silence doesn’t necessarily suggest a lack of affection. Sometimes, you’re simply not up for a conversation.
True friends don’t hold a grudge if you stay silent for a while. Follow this golden girl code rule, and when you’re ready, carry on where you left off. Time doesn’t change anything if there’s a true connection between two people.
10. Send them gifts
If your friend’s birthday is coming soon, why not think of a gift to send them?
It doesn’t have to be anything spectacular or too expensive. What’s important is that you show them that you care.
Try to come up with something meaningful for both of you. If you’re having difficulties with that, you needn’t worry. There’s a whole variety of gift ideas to choose from which they will surely love.
P.S. If you’re not even sure what to say to them, here’s a list of 280 Most Touching And Heartfelt Birthday Wishes And Quotes.
Top 5 Long Distance Friendship Gifts Your Bestie Will Adore
Finding the perfect gift for your friend can sometimes be frustrating, but I (and Amazon) have got you covered. Below, you’ll find the most thoughtful gifts for your long-distance friend that will make your friendship all the more special:
1. Long-distance friendship keychain
Do you want to let your friend know that you’ll always be there for them no matter what? Then, you’ll love this unique keychain that says “No matter what, no matter where. Always & Forever.”
One of my friends received such a keychain (only in a different color) from her long-distance friend, and she still has it as a sweet reminder of their deep connection.
I must admit that I’m kind of jelly that no one gave me this keychain, but I truly hope that this will change in the near future.
Actually, I might give it to one of my friends, which means I’ll also have one because they come in a set of 2. What a brilliant idea, indeed!
I might as well do some DIY work because I’m not a fan of those artificial gift boxes. I prefer unique ones because they have more value (obviously)
2. Long-distance connection bracelets
Imagine being able to send a touch to your friend via a bracelet. Well, this is actually possible!
When you send your friend a touch (by touching your bracelet), their bracelet will light up in the color that you choose. What a time to be alive!
The best of all is that you can do this no matter where your friend is and anytime you want (However, don’t overdo it if you don’t want to annoy them).
Connection bracelets are also a great Valentine’s Day gift for long-distance relationship couples.
3. Long-distance friendship picture frame
“Together forever, never apart. Maybe in distance, but never in heart.”
If you like the previous sentence, then you’ll fall in love with this heartwarming picture frame.
This wooden, handmade frame holds 2 photographs, so make sure to choose the best ones for you and your bestie. The cutest part of all is a heart made of wool pulled through nails below the inscription.
The heart and wooden material add a vintage touch to the picture frame, and that’s why it totally rocks! And, yes, that’s why it is the perfect birthday gift as well.
4. 2-pack best friends tumbler cups
Made of stainless steel (just like your long-distance friendship), these cute tumbler cups come with straws, two straw-cleaning brushes, and an awesome inscription:
“Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but they are always there.”
I’m sure this is enough to make your friend cry tears of joy. If it isn’t, then you can always give them an onion care package. Just kidding, of course!
I remember when my brother gave a similar tumbler cup to our mother on Mother’s Day. She has never been happier in her life because these cups are elegant, and they are made of quality material (which is her main criteria when it comes to everything).
So, I’m sure your friend will also fall in love with this special gift.
5. Long-distance friendship touch lamps
Remember the long-distance connection bracelets that we mentioned above? Well, these touch lamps work on the same principle.
With a simple touch of your lamp, you can brighten your friend’s day because all lamps will radiate the same shade of your choice. Whenever you touch your lamp, you will let them know that you’re thinking of them, and vice-versa.
If you ask me, this is one of the most brilliant inventions since sliced bread because it’s thoughtful, stylish, and heartwarming… just like your long-distance friendship!
40 Best Long Distance Friendship Quotes
Sometimes, despite our efforts, we simply can’t properly express how we feel. Words fail us, and we end up ruining the greatness of our feelings with silly declarations, or else we don’t say anything at all.
Have you ever wanted to tell your friend how much you love them, but weren’t sure how?
Do you have difficulty expressing how much you wish they were here?
If so, read on to discover a great number of friendship quotes that could help you whenever you lack words.
Heartfelt long distance friendship quotes
1. “Whenever I start feeling sad because I miss you, I remind myself how lucky I am to have someone so special to miss.” – Henri Nouwen
2. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – A.A. Milne
3. To know someone here or there with whom you can feel there is understanding in spite of distances or thoughts unexpressed – that can make of this earth a garden. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
4. “In French, you don’t really say “I miss you”… you say “Tu me manques”, which means “You are missing from me.” – Unknown
5. “We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere.” – Tim McGraw
6. “When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star, remember that you have a friend though she may wander far.” – L.M. Montgomery
7. “Though we drifted apart in distance I still think of you as being right here. And, although we have many new friends, it is our friendship that means the most to me.” – Unknown
8. “No matter how far you manage to go, distance will never be able to erase those beautiful memories. There is so much goodness that we shared together.” – Lucy Aims
Inspiring long distance friendship quotes
1. “So what if the distance is too long? What matters is that we have the courage of love to cover any distance which dares to separate us.” – Unknown
2. “There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together, and is often more profound.” – Diana Cortes
3. “A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain” – Kahlil Gibran
4. “True friendship is when two friends can walk in opposite directions, yet remain side by side.” – Josh Grayson
5. Don’t be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. – Richard Bach
6. Absence is to love as wind is to fire: it extinguishes the little flame, it fans the big. – Umberto Eco
7. Distance sometimes endears friendship, and absence sweeteneth it. – James Howell
8. “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” – Robert Southey
Sad long distance friendship quotes
1. “Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle; everything I do is stitched with its color.” – W.S. Merwin
2. “But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.” – Calla Quinn
3. “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” – Henry David Thoreau
4. “I think I’ll miss you forever, like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky.”– Lana Del Rey
5. Odd how much it hurts when a friend moves away – and leaves behind only silence. – Pam Brown
6. You will never be completely at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That’s the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place. – Miriam Adeney
7. The scariest thing about distance is that you don’t know whether they’ll miss you or forget you. – Nicholas Sparks
8. “You can never love people as much as you miss them.” – John Green
1. “The distance cannot matter – Ours is a friendship of the heart.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
2. “If the days won’t allow us to see each other, memories will, and if my eyes can’t see you, my heart will never forget you.” – Wale Olabode
3. “If you think missing me is hard, you should try missing you.” – Unknown
4. “I wish I could teleport to you.”– Unknown
5. We only part to meet again. – Michael Scott
6. “Poets use countless words to describe their pain, but I only need three: I miss you.” – Caroline George
7. “I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart).” – E. E. Cummings
8. “I exist in two places, here and where you are.” – Margaret Atwood
In The End
Surviving a long distance friendship may be difficult, but surely not impossible. All that is truly important is that you love each other enough to make it work.
There are so many ways to stay in touch these days. It really doesn’t have to end if you put in the effort.
Chat with your friend, see them on camera, and make new experiences. Remember them on their birthday.
Your gifts don’t have to be all that spectacular, but it’s always the thought that counts. It really doesn’t have to end. Value your friendship enough not to give up on it.