Mothers and daughters have a special relationship, and it has been that way since the beginning of time. I’m not talking about a parent-child relation here only: I’m talking about a unique bond that no one else can understand.
Moms and daughters are soulmates, best friends, allies, advisors, and much more…
Mothers and daughters have their little world that nobody else is allowed to enter. In fact, this connection is sometimes impossible to explain.
That’s exactly why I bring you the ultimate list of the best mother-daughter quotes ever. These lines will help put your emotions into words.
20 Inspirational Mother And Daughter Quotes
These quotes will remind you to cherish the relationship you have with your mother. After reading them, I bet you’ll call your mother (or daughter) right away.
1. “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.” ― Bethany Hamilton
2. “The living mother-daughter relationship you learn over and over again is a constant choice between adaption and acceptance.” — Kelly Corrigan
3. “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” — Jill Churchill
4. “My mom taught me that a woman’s mind should be the most beautiful part of her.” — Sonya Teclai
5. “Mother-daughter disagreements were, in hindsight, basically mother stating the truth and daughter taking her own sweet time coming around.” — Barbara Delinsky
6. “I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine. She helps me prosper and reach great heights.” – Terri Guillemets
7. “A daughter is one of the most beautiful gifts this world has to give.” — Laurel Atherton
8. “My mother was a force. She had little tolerance for fools, she kept her hair short and wore practical non-fussy clothes. Everything about her radiated confidence and calm.” ― Michelle Obama
9. “A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future.” — Unknown
10. “The relationship between parents and children, but especially between mothers and daughters, is tremendously powerful, scarcely to be comprehended in any rational way.” — Joyce Carol Oates
11. “The woman who is my best friend, my teacher, my everything: Mom.” — Sandra Vischer
12. “One is a mother to shield when lightning streaks the night, when thunder shakes the earth, when mud bogs one down. One is a mother in order to love without beginning or end.” —Mariama Bâ, So Long a Letter
13. “A mother teaches her daughter how to feel about herself, about handling pressure, about relishing life’s joys and conquering fears.” — Melissa Harrison
14. “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” — Oprah Winfrey
15. “All mother’s characteristics are absorbed by the daughter’s personality so that it’s not clear where the mother ends and the daughter begins. It’s pure magic.” — Unknown
16. “Good daughters make good mothers.” — Abigail G. Whittlesey
17. “My life is to be a mom. It is what I enjoy the most. It is my most amazing reward. I will take a chance with my music. I don’t take risks with my family.” — Céline Dion
18. “A daughter is someone you laugh with, dream with, and love with all your heart.” — Unknown
19. “God couldn’t be everywhere so that is why he invented mothers.” — Diane Keaton as Daphne Wilder, Because I Said So
20. “By the time a woman realizes her mother was right, she has a daughter who thinks she’s wrong.” — Unknown
20 Motherhood Quotes
What is so exceptional about motherhood? How does it impact a woman? What is so divine about being a mother? Why is every mother much more than just a mom? It’s time to find out.
1. “Motherhood has relaxed me in many ways. You learn to deal with crises. I’ve become a juggler, I suppose. It’s all a big circus, and nobody who knows me believes I can manage, but sometimes I do.” — Jane Seymour
2. “Maybe motherhood means honoring one’s mother.” ― Sheila Heti
3. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” ― Elder M. Russell Ballard
4. “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” ― Barbara Kingslover
5. “Having kids—the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings—is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” — Maria Shriver
6. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” — Sophia Loren
7. “The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children.” — Jessica Lange
8. “Motherhood is a choice you make every day to put someone else’s happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you’re not sure what the right thing is… and to forgive yourself over and over again for doing everything wrong.” — Donna Ball
9. “Life doesn’t come with a manual; it comes with a mother.” — Unknown
10. “Motherhood is amazing. And then, it is really hard. And then, it is incredible. And then, it is everything in between. So, hold onto the good, breathe through the bad, and welcome the wildest and most wonderful ride of your life.” — Unknown
11. “Being a mama can be tough, but always remember, in the eyes of your child, no one does it better than you.” — Unknown
12. “I see you there, mama, trying your best. I see you showing up each day, even though you feel exhausted. I see you making tough choices for your family even when you’re not sure if they are right. I see you working tirelessly, even when it seems never-ending. I see you doing an amazing job, even though you doubt yourself. I see you, mama, and you are more than enough.” — Unknown
13. “Through the blur, I wondered if I was alone or if other parents felt the same way I did – that everything involving our children was painful in some way. The emotions, whether they were joy, sorrow, love, or pride, were so deep and sharp that in the end, they left you raw, exposed, and yes, in pain. The human heart was not designed to beat outside the human body, and yet, each child represented just that – a parent’s heart bared, beating forever outside its chest.” ― Debra Ginsberg
14. “A mother’s body remembers her babies – the folds of soft flesh, the softly furred scalp against her nose. Each child has its own entreaties to body and soul.” ― Barbara Kingsolver
15. “When you’re pregnant, you can think of nothing but having your own body to yourself again, yet after having given birth, you realize that the biggest part of you is now somehow external, subject to all sorts of dangers and disappearance, so you spend the rest of your life trying to figure out how to keep it close enough for comfort. That’s the strange thing about being a mother: until you have a baby, you don’t even realize how much you were missing one.” ― Jodi Picoult
16. “Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.” —Lady Gaga
17. “Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.” — Robert A. Heinlein
18. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends here.” — Unknown
19. “Being a mom makes you so tired. But, at the same time, so happy.” — Unknown
20. “Being a mother is not about what you gave up to have a child, but what you’ve gained from having one.” — Unknown
10 How Much Do I Love My Daughter Quotes
These won’t be your usual love quotes. These talk about a mother’s love for her daughter. These are the lines your mother has been dying to tell you – she just didn’t know how.
1. “A mother’s treasure is her daughter.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
2. “My mother’s love has always been a sustaining force for our family, and one of my greatest joys is seeing her integrity, her compassion, her intelligence reflected in my daughters.” ― Michelle Obama
3. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; a mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” ― Oliver Vendell Holmes
4. “Do not forget to tell your daughters God made them beautiful.” ― Habeeb Akande
5. “Even if the whole world was throwing rocks at you, if you had your mother at your back, you’d be okay. Some deep-rooted part of you would know you were loved – that you deserved to be loved.” ― Jojo Moyes
6. “A mother’s love is everything. It is what brings a child into this world. It is what molds their entire being. When a mother sees her child in danger, she is literally capable of anything. Mothers have lifted cars off of their children and destroyed entire dynasties. A mother’s love is the strongest energy known to man.” —Jamie McGuire
7. “All of my problems have just one simple solution: a hug from my daughter.” — Unknown
8. “The mother’s heart is the child’s schoolroom.” — Henry Ward Beecher
9. “You are loved. For the daughter you are, the woman you will become, and the precious daughter you will always be.” — Unknown
10. “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.” — Dorothy Canfield Fisher
25 Funny Mother-Daughter Quotes
At a certain point, a relationship between a mother and a daughter becomes the most amusing thing ever. These funny mother-daughter quotes are here to prove my point.
1. “If at first you don’t succeed, try doing it the way mom told you in the beginning.” ― Unknown
2. “Mother and daughter got on very well indeed, with a deep affection founded on an almost complete misunderstanding.” ― Mary Stewart
3. “I love when my daughter gets an attitude with me. I’m like: ‘Girl, I gave you that attitude, and I have way more practice with it.’” ― Unknown
4. “Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children!” ― Sam Levenson
5. “Having a daughter is like having a broke best friend who thinks you’re rich.” ― Unknown
6. “Sometimes, I open my mouth and my mother comes out.” ― Unknown
7. “A mom forgives us all our faults, not to mention one or two we don’t even have.” — Robert Brault
8. “Daughters are like flowers; they fill the world with beauty, and sometimes attract pests.” — Unknown
9. “All I know is that I carried you for nine months. I fed you, I clothed you, I paid for your college education. Friending me on Facebook seems like a small thing to ask in return.” — Jodi Picoult
10. “I smile because I’m your daughter. I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it.” — Unknown
11. “I told my mom she was invading my personal space and she said I came out of her personal space.” — Unknown
12. “It’s quite possible my daughter will disagree with this version altogether. She might say that I’ve put words into her mouth. Show me a mother who hasn’t.” ― Kimberly King Parsons
13. “It’s always a struggle to be patient with my daughter until I realize she is a 10-year-old version of me.” ― Unknown
14. “You have so many years of screw-ups ahead of you.” — Lorelai Gilmore
15. “Hey, let’s look into each other’s eyes and say ‘I wish I were you’ at exactly the same time. Maybe we’ll pull a ‘Freaky Friday’.” — Lorelai Gilmore
“Or, we can just pretend like we did, and you can go around acting really immature. Oh, wait…” — Rory Gilmore
16. “A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” — Tenneva Jordan
17. “When your mother asks, ‘Do you want a piece of advice?’ it’s a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.” — Erma Bombeck
18. “It’s not easy being a mom. If it were easy, fathers would do it.” — Unknown
19. “If evolution really works, how come mothers have only two hands?” — Milton Berle
20. “There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.” — Chinese Proverb
21. “Mothers of teen daughters know why some animals eat their young.” — Unknown
22. “My mom was normal… three daughters ago.” — Unknown
23. “My kid is turning out to be exactly like me. Well played, Karma. Well. played.”— House Wife Plus
24. “But, mom, what if I get kidnapped? Trust me, they’ll bring you back. — Unknown
25. “Mom, I love you, but I’ll never accept your friend request. Sincerely, your daughter.” — Unknown
15 Daughter Quotes From Mother
These are not your usual mother-daughter quotes. Instead, look at them as words of wisdom that every mom wants to share with her daughter.
1. “To my beautiful daughter, always remember: you are brave, you are capable, you are pretty, and you can accomplish ANYTHING your heart desires! I know this because I am your mother.” ― Unknown
2. “When someone asks you where you came from, the answer is your mother. It’s so much more than love. Even when there’s no love, it’s so much more than anything else in your life.” — Anna Quindlen, One True Thing
3. “Someday, when the pages of my life end, I know that you will be one of the most beautiful chapters.” — Unknown
4. “I don’t want my children to follow in my footsteps. I want them to take the path next to me and go further than I could have ever dreamt possible.” — Unknown
5. “Even as a small child, I understood that women had secrets, and that some of these were only to be told to daughters. In this way, we were bound together for eternity.” — Alice Hoffman, in The Dovekeepers
6. “I think the hardest thing for a mother is to make it possible for a child to be independent and, at the same time, let the child know how much you love her, how much you want to take care of her, and yet how truly essential it is for her to fly on her own.” — Madeleine Albright
7. “My mother told me two things constantly. One was to be a lady, and the other was to be independent.” — Ruth Bader Ginsburg
8. “Sometimes when I feel so down and out, I only need to look at you and be reminded that you are my miracle. I love you, baby girl.” — Unknown
9. “To my daughter: be bold, be brave, be you! Keep shining, little one. The world needs your light.” — Unknown
10. “My daughter is the most important thing in my life. It is for her alone I’m fighting. Artelia Moore Cox, Why Own the Mountain?.” — Unknown
11. “It is not the job of the child to protect her mother. It’s the mother’s job to protect the child. By allowing your mother to protect you, you gave her a gift.” — Kristin Cashore
12. “My favorite thing about being a mom is just what a better person it makes you on a daily basis. Every morning when I wake her up, the endgame is, Can I get her to smile? And, that puts me in a good mood.” — Drew Barrymore
13. “She’s my best friend—she’s everything to me. It has always just been me and her against the world.” — Jacquelyn Middleton
14. “We mothers are learning to mark our mothering success by our daughters’ lengthening flight.” — Letty Cottin Pogrebin
15. “You are such a beautiful girl, and I’m so proud of the incredible way that you are growing up. Even at such a young age, you are full of wisdom, kindness, compassion, and courage.” — Unknown
5 Unconditional Love Mother Daughter Quotes
Nothing can be compared with the love a mother feels for her child. It’s an unbeatable force that can beat everyone and everything.
1. “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” ― Agatha Christie
2. “My mother shed her protective love down around me, and without knowing why, people sensed that I had value.” — Maya Angelou
3. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” — Princess Diana
4. “Words are not enough to express the unconditional love that exists between a mother and a daughter.” — Caitlin Houston
5. “You don’t know what unconditional love is. You may say you do, but if you don’t have a child, you don’t know what that is. But, when you experience it, it is the most fulfilling ever.” — Regina King
15 Mother-Daughter Quotes For Tattoos
We’ve got you covered! Read on and find the best tattoos dedicated to moms and daughters.
1. When I count my blessings, I count my mom twice.
2. As long as there is someone in the sky who protects me, there is no one on earth who can break me.
3. I will carry you with me… ’till I see you again.
4. Forever in my heart, always in my mind.
5. Mom, I love you.
6. Always my mother, forever my friend.
7. You & me against the world.
8. For her, I’d risk it all… because for her, I will not fall.
9. Together forever, never apart… maybe in distance, but never in heart.
10. My mom is my strength and my weakness. Through her, I rise, and only through her shall I fall.
11. Proud daughter of a freaking awesome mother.
12. You can’t scare me. I have two daughters.
13. Mom turned upside down spells wow.
14. My life may not be a fairytale, but my daughter is my Princess.
15. Yes, I do have a beautiful daughter. I also have a gun, a shovel, and an alibi.
15 Bonding Mother Daughter Quotes
The bond that connects a mother and a daughter is unbreakable. You two can be miles away, but you’ll always feel close to each other.
1. “A mother-daughter bond is the perfect blessing, so that makes me one blessed mom because I have you.” — Stephanie Lahart
2. “A mother’s and daughter’s love is never separated.” — Viola Shipman
3. “As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her.” ― Kristin Hannah, Summer Island
4. “There is no death, daughter. People die only when we forget them,” my mother explained shortly before she left me. “If you can remember me, I will be with you always.” ― Isabel Allende, Eva Luna
5. “She’s my best friend — she’s everything to me. It has always just been me and her against the world.” — Jacquelyn Middleton
6. “No daughter and mother ever live apart no matter what the distance between them.” — Christie Watson
7. “Mothers and daughters together are a powerful force to be reckoned with.” — Melia Keeton-Digby
8. “There were times when, in middle school and junior high, I didn’t have a lot of friends. But, my mom was always my friend. Always.” — Taylor Swift
9. “Mothers and their children are in a category all their own. There’s no bond so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving.” — Gail Tsukiyama
10. “The bond between a mother and her child is the only real and purest bond in the world, the only true love we can ever find in our lifetime.” — Ama H. Vanniarachchy
11. “I don’t want you to walk in my footsteps. I want you to walk in the path beside me and go even further than I could ever dream of.” — Unknown
12. “Of all the haunting moments of motherhood, few rank with hearing your own words come out of your daughter’s mouth.” — Victoria Secunda
13. “From the time I was a child, I wanted to be like my mother. Not necessarily an actress — I never dreamed I’d have the courage. But, an active, volatile woman like she was.” — Isabella Rossellini on her mother, Ingrid Bergman
14. “I am a strong woman because a strong woman raised me.” — Unknown
15. “From the moment they placed you in my arms, you snuggled right into my heart.” — Unknown
20 Daughter-Mother Quotes
How does a daughter feel next to a loving mother? These lines will tell you everything you had trouble putting into words.
1. “From the moment I was born, you showed me the way through this wonderful world. You taught me to see beauty in everything. I see the beauty in you, Mom.” — Unknown
2. “Call your mother. Tell her you love her. Remember, you’re the only person who knows what her heart sounds like from the inside.” — Rachel Wolchin
3. “The more a daughter knows the details of her mother’s life, the stronger the daughter.” — Anita Diamant
4. “The best place to cry is in mother’s arms.” — Jodi Picoult
5. “A daughter is God’s way of saying, ‘Thought you could use a lifelong friend.’” — Unknown
6. “My mother wanted me to be her wings, to fly as she never quite had the courage to do. I love her for that. I love the fact that she wanted to give birth to her own wings.” — Erica Jong
7. “No matter how old my daughter gets, she’ll always be my baby girl.” — Unknown
8. “My daughter is my biggest achievement. She is a little star, and my life has changed so much for the better since she came along.” — Denise Van Outen
9. “My mother… she is beautiful, softened at the edges, and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.” — Jodi Picoult
10. “The first lesson every child of Athena learned: Mom was the best at everything, and you should never, ever suggest otherwise.” ― Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena
11. “Having a little girl has been like following an old treasure map with the important paths torn away.” ― Heather Gudenkauf
12.“One of the most important relationships we’ll have is the relationship we have with our mothers.” ― Iyanla Vanzant
13. “Mothering is a mysterious task. First, you create an intimate, all-consuming attachment with your daughter, then you spend the rest of your life learning to let her go.” ―Judy Ford
14. “My mom is literally a part of me. You can’t say that about many people except relatives and organ donors.” — Carrie Latet
15. “I cannot do this alone. I need my mommy and I don’t care who knows it.” — Rory Gilmore
16. “Sometimes, when I need a miracle, I look into my daughter’s eyes and realize I’ve already created one.” ― Unknown
17. “My daughters are the bouquet of my life.” ― Unknown
18. “My mother was my first country, the first place I ever lived.” ― Nayyirah Waheed
19. “In times of need and in times of tears, in times of joy and in times of fears… there is mom. The one person who is always there.” ― Heather Stillufsen
20. “We are born of love; love is our mother.” ― Rumi
5 Mother’s Day Quotes
Looking for the perfect mother’s day gift? Trust me on this one: nothing will put a wider smile on your mom’s face as a handmade Mother’s Day card. Here are some inspirational mother-daughter quotes to use.
1. “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” — Abraham Lincoln
2. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or, the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” — Maya Angelou
3. “The older I get, the more I see the power of that young woman, my mother.” — Sharon Olds
4. “You are the strongest, but also the most caring and loving person I know. Thanks for bringing me into this world and being there for me every day. I love you, Mum!” — Unknown
5. “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs since the payment is pure love.” — Mildred B. Vermont
5 Single Mom Quotes
1. “The women whom I love and admire for their strength and grace did not get that way because stuff worked out. They got that way because stuff went wrong, and they handled it. They handled it in a thousand different ways on a thousand different days, but they handled it. Those women are my superheroes.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
2. “It takes a strong person to be a single parent and take on two roles. You are amazing in your child’s eyes, so never forget that.” — Unknown
3. “Being a single mother is twice the work, twice the stress, and twice the tears, but also twice the hugs, twice the love, and twice the pride.” — Unknown
4. “Mom, if you are a single mom, you are already a superwoman!” — Unknown
5. “I didn’t set out to be a single mom. I set out to be the best mom I could be. And, that hasn’t changed.” — Unknown
The special love between a mother and a daughter is forever
I hope that these mother-daughter quotes will make you realize you don’t need a special occasion to tell your daughter or mom how much you love her. Just text her one of these lines and I promise you that it will melt her heart.
I understand that your relationship might be challenging. And, I know that it hasn’t always been butterflies and roses.
But, trust me – it’s worth fixing. If you two are not on good terms, call her and tell her that you miss her. Work on your relationship and cherish it forever because it really is one of a kind.