It’s true what people say… When a loved one dies, a piece of us dies with them. All the pain and sorrow the death of a family member or a dear friend leaves behind is truly overwhelming.
Even though many of us think that there is no way to comfort someone after such a loss, the truth is that a kind word can go a long way. However, choosing the right words to express your condolences may be the tricky part.
To help you write a condolence card message for a grieving family or someone you know who is dealing with the death of a loved one, I’ve gathered the most heart-touching sympathy quotes I found online in the collection below.
Your words perhaps can’t erase their pain, but they definitely have the ability to make it hurt a little less. Sometimes, just knowing you aren’t alone with your pain can kindle hope for a better tomorrow.
Heartfelt Sympathy Quotes And Condolence Messages
1. “The bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.” – Anne Lamott
2. “Those we love don’t go away; they walk beside us every day. You have my deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences.”
3. “You don’t go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.” – Nigella Lawson
4. “When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” – Kahlil Gibran
5. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. May you remember to hold tight onto your memories. They will be with you forever, keeping your loved one close for the rest of your days.”
6. “In times of grief and sorrow, I will hold you and rock you and take your grief and make it my own. When you cry, I cry, and when you hurt, I hurt. And together we will try to hold back the floods of tears and despair and make it through the potholed street of life.” – Nicholas Sparks
7. “They say that a part of you dies when a special loved one passes away… I disagree… I say a part of you lives with your loved one on the other side.” – Daniel Yanez
8. “Wishing you peace to bring comfort, courage to face the days ahead, and loving memories to forever hold in your heart.”
9. “Some losses don’t hurt just for a while; they hurt for a lifetime.” – Narin Grewal
10. “Tenderly, may time heal your sorrow. Gently, may your friends ease your pain. Softly, may peace replace heartaches, and your warmest memories remain.”
Inspirational Sympathy Quotes
1. “Death ends a life, not a relationship. All the love you created is still there. All the memories are still there. You live on – in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here.” – Mitch Albom
2. “Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” – Kahlil Gibran
3. “The season of mourning, Like spring, summer, fall, and winter, will also pass.” – Molly Fumia
4. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes in waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
5. “The darker the night, the brighter the stars; the deeper the grief, the closer is God!” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
6. “The Remembrance of the good done by those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” – Demoustier
7. “Grief never ends, but it changes. It’s a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love.”
8. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories.” – Leo Buscaglia
9. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” – James O’Barr
10. “Because God is never cruel, there is a reason for all things. […] The terrible pain of loss teaches humility to our prideful kind and has the power to soften uncaring hearts, to make a better person of a good one.” – Dean Koontz
Short Sympathy Quotes
If you want to keep your sympathy message short, here is a list of short condolence messages you can use.
1. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
2. “Sorrow is so easy to express and yet so hard to tell.” – Joni Mitchell
3. “What we have once enjoyed, we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
4. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
5. “May loving memories ease your loss and bring you comfort.”
6. “May you take comfort in knowing there is one more angel above us.”
7. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
8. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” – Terri Guillemets
9. “Your loved one created so many beautiful memories, a life that we can truly celebrate even as we grieve. You have my heart’s deepest sympathies.”
10. “A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again.” – Maya Angelou
11. “Those we love can never be more than a thought away, for as long as there’s a memory, they live in our hearts to stay.”
12. “May you find comfort in loving memories, strength in the support of those who care, and hope in each new day.”
13. “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
14. “It is not length of life, but depth of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
15. “Although no words can take away the sorrow that you bear. May it be comforting to you to know that others care.”
16. “There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.” – Aeschylus
17. “Praying for friends to comfort you, faith to uphold you, and loving memories to help you smile again.”
18. “Wishing you strength for today and hope for tomorrow.” – Renee O’Neill
19. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
20. “A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted – mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.” – Morgan Matson
21. “Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.”
22. “Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there is a trail of beautiful memories.”
23. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, star-dust or sea-foam, flower or winged air.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Thinking Of You Sympathy Quotes
I know that simply by sending them a condolence message means you’re thinking of them in those difficult times. However, emphasizing it in your message won’t hurt either. You’ll only come across as even more caring and warmer.
1. “I want to be present for you, but I don’t know how. Please know I’m thinking of you and praying for you, and if there’s anything else I can do, don’t hesitate to let me know.”
2. “Even though there is joy in the homegoing, there is sorrow in your loss. Thinking of you at this tender time.”
3. “Thinking of you. Praying for your peace and comfort during this difficult time.”
4. “I know nothing I can say will take away the pain, but I’m thinking of you, and I care about you so much.”
5. “Just thought I’d let you know I’ve been thinking of you. So I thought I’d brighten up your day and bring a smile to you, praying God will touch your life in a more meaningful way and that you’ll feel the warmth of God, today and every day.” – M.S. Lowndes
6. “Thinking of you and hoping there will be sunshine in your life soon.”
7. “In times like this, you are always on my mind. I hope you can find solace and comfort in the loved ones who surround you.”
8. “I just hugged you in my thoughts… Hope you felt the squeeze.”
9. “The phrase ’there are no words’ seems like the only thing that fits right now. I cannot fathom what you’re going through, but I love you, and I am thinking of you.”
10. “Thinking of you. When the skies seem dark and times get tough, and you don’t know what to do, just know you have a friend right here to support and help you through.”
Religious Sympathy Quotes
Faith can truly help someone who is coping with the grief of losing a loved one. Offer your compassion and condolence to the bereaved with the following religious words of condolences.
1. “The Lord walks beside us through the darkness and leads us back to peace. Please know that we’re praying for you during this difficult time.”
2. “Please accept our heartfelt condolences for your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family. I hope God blesses and comforts you during this difficult time and takes the deceased’s soul to Heaven.”
3. “During this most difficult time, may you listen for the voice of the Lord and take comfort in His love. He is always with us, even in our hour of darkness.”
4. “I am praying that God will grant you the strength you need to face the sad occasion and that He will give you comfort and healing for the loss of a loved one.”
5. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4
6. “Let the memories of your loved one bring you comfort in times of darkness. Give your voice to the Lord and know that He will guide you through.”
7. “Praying that God’s love enfolds you and comforts you through the pain. I hope He helps you heal from this awful loss.”
8. “My condolences go out to you and your family for the loss of a loved one. I know that God will be with you through this difficult time.”
9. “I am praying for you to find healing through the Lord’s infinite love. Lend Him your worries and take comfort that He is always by your side.”
10. “We are praying that God will heal your broken heart and bring you peace throughout this sad and sorrowful time.”
11. “May God’s infinite love and healing be with you in this time of struggle. You are in our prayers now and always.”
12. “May this Bible verse, straight from the mouth of God, bring you peace and comfort today and in the days to come: ‘God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble.’” – Psalm 46.1
13. “For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.” – Isaiah 49:13
14. “May our Lord bless and comfort you and your family during this time of grief. Please accept my sincere condolences.”
15. “It is our prayer that God will comfort you and your whole family during this sad time. May He richly bless you as you mourn, and may the light of His presence be a continual source of consolation.”
Our friends and family are our pillars of strength in life. The death of a loved one may make you feel like the earth is crumbling beneath your feet.
However, you’re aware that you need to move on and accept it as heaven’s gain, but actually, it’s only your gain. You gain a guardian angel that will keep you safe from above forever.
If you know anyone who’s coping with the loss of a friend or a family member, offer your deepest condolences with these touching sympathy messages.
Sympathy Quotes For The Loss Of A Mother
1. “Someone as special as a mother will never be gone from this world. May you still see her smile in your mirror and hear her voice singing in your heart.”
2. “I’m sure you made your mother so proud; I’m sorry her light is gone from your life.”
3. “I’m so sorry to hear about your loss, and I am eager to reunite with your mother in heaven someday.”
4. “I appreciate your mom for who you are. She gets credit for producing you and influencing you. She’ll live on through you.”
5. “A mother’s love is alive forever. In the lessons she taught, the patience she gave, and in the hearts of the children she raised. Our prayers go out to you in this time of great sadness.”
6. “Time is the only comforter for the loss of a mother.” – Jane Welsh Carlyle
7. “We’re praying for you as you mourn the loss of a very special lady. Your mother was a light and comfort for so many, and she’ll live on in our hearts forever.”
Sympathy Quotes For The Loss Of A Father
1. “A father’s love is a never-ending gift. May you forever feel his light shining down on you from Heaven.”
2. “His influence is obvious in the way you parent and how you live your life. You are your father’s legacy, and he must have been so proud of you.”
3. “I know this Father’s Day must be very hard for you since you lost your dad earlier this year. Please know that I’m thinking about you and your family and praying for you today in particular.”
4. “You were blessed to have a father who was so special and caring. His memory will live forever in our hearts.”
5. “He was a rock for all of us, but I know he was even more than that for you. I’m so sorry for your loss.”
6. “The guiding light of a father’s wisdom is a gift that lasts forever. We’re so sorry for your loss, and we’re praying for you during this time of grief.”
Sympathy Quotes For The Loss Of A Husband/Wife
1. “Life without your beloved spouse will be truly difficult. We pray that God will comfort your heart and fill your soul with love and peace.”
2. “Your wife will be missed by all who were lucky enough to know her. May you find peace and love in the memories you cherish. My condolences.”
3. “You’ve lost your other half, and you feel incomplete and lost. I hate that you have to suffer through this; I love you and will be here for you whenever you need me.”
4. “Please accept our condolences on the loss of your spouse. She/he was a special person, and we share in your grief.”
5. “We are sorry to learn about the death of your wife. The pain you are going through is unimaginable, but please know that you always have us!”
Sympathy Quotes For A Friend
1. “While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.” – John Taylor
2. “Whatever soothes your spirit, comforts your soul, and brings you peace … that is what is wished for you at this difficult time.”
3. “Please know that however you’re feeling right now — sad, numb, guilty, tired, angry — it’s normal. There’s no right way to feel. I love you, my dear friend, and am so sad that you’re going through this.”
4. “I hope that your soul and heart find comfort and peace even through what is going on right now.”
5. “No rule book. No time frame. No judgment. Grief is as individual as a fingerprint. Do what is right for your soul.”
Sympathy Quotes For A Miscarriage
To be honest, there are no right words to comfort a mother who has lost a baby. Her pain and grief are so huge and deep that no words can make such strong emotions go away.
However, it’s nice to offer your support and let her know you’re there for her. Here are a few examples of the deepest condolence message and miscarriage quotes for a mother who is coping with the loss of her baby.
1. “A mother’s grief is as timeless as her love.” – Joanne Cacciatore
2. “The spark of your unborn baby ignited the eternal flame of love in all our hearts.”
3. “I know how much this baby was loved and wanted. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.”
4. “You become a mother the moment you become pregnant, and you remain a mother forever.”
5. “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” – Zoe Clark-Coates
6. “This baby was so, so loved. No matter what, they will always be a part of our family.”
7. “Do not let your heart be empty, but instead filled with the prayers of healing upon the loss of your pregnancy.”
8. “An angel in the book of life wrote down your baby’s birth. Then whispered as she closed the book ‘too beautiful for earth.’”
9. “The small kicks, the tiny bumps, the stretched womb; the loss of a pregnancy is felt beyond the heart.”
10. “How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts.”
11. “Feelings of emptiness may overwhelm you after the loss of a pregnancy, but know that you are overwhelmed with my love and prayers.”
12. “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.” –Dorothy Ferguson
For moms who had miscarriages, we hope these quotes will bring you comfort.
Sympathy Quotes For The Loss Of A Dog
Only those who have a dog know how special and deep that bond is. It’s one of those bonds that last a lifetime.
If you know someone who has suffered the passing of their furry best friend, here is a collection of sympathy messages and quotes for the death of a dog that can help you express condolence to that person and let them know you sympathize with their pain.
1. “Our pets never really leave us. They live on in memories of the love and devotion they gave us.”
2. “A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life.” – Bob Barker
3. “No truer word was said when they called dogs man’s best friend. [Insert dog’s name] was a special dog. May the fond memories you have ease the pain of grief for your family at this difficult time.”
4. “A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered.” – Lacie Petitt
5. “Some angels choose fur instead of wings.”
6. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
7. “Our treasured friends bless our lives and give us more love than we ever knew possible. May fond memories of (dog’s name) bring peace and comfort to you.”
8. “[Insert pet’s name] left paw prints of love on everyone who knew [him/her].”
9. “One day we will again see our animals in the eternity of Christ.” – Pope Paul VI
10. “With sympathy, so very sorry for the loss of your precious fur baby.”
11. “The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.” – Ben Hur Lampman
12. “In this tragic moment, perhaps you could celebrate the life of your beloved animal friend and allow the happy memories to help soothe your grief and mourning.”
13. “A devoted friend and beloved pet such as [insert animal’s name] will always hold a special place in your heart. [He/she] is gone but never forgotten.”
14. “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.” – Joe Grogan
15. “In this tragic moment, we must celebrate the long life lived by your beloved pet, instead of letting those happy memories fade away in mourning.”
16. “The loss of a dog is immeasurable. But so is the love left behind.”
17. “Life is short, and the loss of a pet serves to remind us of how precious our time here truly is. I’m sorry to hear about the loss of such a wonderful pet.”
What To Say To Someone Who Lost A Loved One – Writing A Sympathy Card
Express your sincere sympathy and condolence
You can use these condolence quotes above and include them in your sympathy card, but you should also try to express the condolence in your own words.
Saying something deep and from the heart will add a personal touch to your sympathy message and make it sound more emotional and way more sincere.
Let them know you’re there for them (both physically and emotionally).
Leaning on friends and family can give a person the comfort and especially the courage they need to endure the unbearable pain of losing a loved one.
Bring up some beautiful memories.
The death of a loved one deprives us of their physical presence, but it doesn’t take away the memory we’ve of them. Talk (write) about all the beautiful things you did with them and how you’ll cherish those beautiful memories forever.
A sympathy gift can also be a thoughtful gesture for someone who is mourning the loss of a loved one.
Flowers, a fruit basket, memorial portrait, or personalized candles are great sympathy gift ideas that will convey your deepest condolences and let them know you’re thinking of them.
Besides expressing condolence to a grieving family, you should also remind them that there is one thing death can not take away from us… And that’s love.
That’s why those we love can never truly die, they remain alive in our heart, memory, and the love we’ll always feel for them.