Being single feels like a curse. You wake up every day knowing full well that nobody is expecting to see you. You go online to find no good morning messages.
You don’t understand how it’s so easy for everybody else, yet for you, it’s a never-ending war, and you’ve lost more than you’ve won.
How can you be okay with this? Is it possible to find happiness without a significant other?
Well, read on, and I’ll answer all of your questions… and much more.
Is Being Single Bad?
Most certainly not.
It’s just that there are so many singlehood stereotypes that make us feel that way. Moreover, people constantly reinforce the idea that you have to have a partner to be ‘complete.’
They often refer to their partners as their ‘other half,’ as if we simply cannot find happiness without them. That couldn’t be more wrong…
You are whole on your own and perfectly capable of leading a fulfilling life, even if you stay single for the rest of your days. You don’t need a partner to be happy.
Bella DePaulo, a social psychologist, calls this being ‘single at heart.‘ She explains how you’re capable of leading a great life all by yourself, regardless of your relationship status.
Quite often, people seek partners only to not be alone. It doesn’t matter that they are unhappy and that they don’t actually love them. They just need the comfort that a relationship provides.
Young people are especially prone to settling because they believe that being single in their 20s is uncool. Oh, how wrong they are!
Do you really want to be in a relationship only for the sake of it?
Do you not deserve true happiness?
Think about that for a while.
Is Being Single In Your 30s Bad?
Your relationship status does not define you, nor does your life end at 30. If it pleases you, you can decide to spend most of your life alone and then enter a relationship at 50.
Youth really is a wonderful thing, and it’s true that entering your 30s can be scary, especially when everyone around you is pressuring you into settling down with someone.
I can understand your struggle. I can understand that you want to experience love while you’re still living your best years. But the truth is… the youth of the heart is the only one that matters.
Don’t give up on love
Please don’t think that you are undeserving of love or that you will never find it just because you didn’t find it until your 30s. Remember this:
“There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen.“ – Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.
Your time WILL come. You won’t be single forever. Just be gentle with yourself.
I know it’s tiring when people ask why you’re still single, but don’t let them convince you that your whole life is over just because you’ve reached a certain age. Fiddlesticks! It’s okay if you’re still single because you have many more years to come.
A simple ‘yes’ can alter your life forever
The goal of every long-term relationship is marriage. After all, we all want our happily ever after. However, problems arise when your marital status becomes nothing more than just that…. a status.
If you unite with someone only for the sake of marriage instead of actually liking them as a person, you will be unhappy.
In all honesty, settling down with the wrong person is much worse than being single. Keep that in mind before accepting a guy’s proposal.
Don’t be one of those married people who despise each other yet stay together. Marry only when you find a true soulmate. That makes all the difference.
Tired Of Being Single: How To Be Okay With Being Single
It’s understandable that you might miss being in a relationship or, if you’ve never been in one at all, to wonder what it’s like. No one is here to tell you that what you feel is wrong.
I’m only here to show you how you can be okay with being single when you realize a few things. Here’s what those things are:
1. Aloneness over pretense
Are you aware of how many people are in unhappy relationships? Are you aware that they stay together only because they’re scared of being single?
Once you realize that things aren’t always as good as they seem, you will feel better about your own situation.
Trust me, it’s better to stay alone than to be with just anyone. Never lower your standards, but rather wait for the kind of person that will truly make you happy.
2. Letting the love out
I know you feel sad because you have so much love to give yet no one to give it to. Believe me, I’ve been there.
I’ve felt tempted to become utterly cold because I just kept holding in all the love. It was becoming impossible to breathe.
I didn’t realize that there was no need for another person for my love to be released. I only had to offer it to myself. After all, who deserves it more than me? The most important relationship is the one I have with myself.
3. Letting the love in
You don’t have to focus on romance only. Realize that you have so many other people that love you. Don’t drive them away.
Platonic love isn’t any less worthy of your efforts and your love. In fact, it can be much more genuine sometimes.
Try focusing on them instead of on someone who either doesn’t care about you or doesn’t exist at all.
4. Sharing your sorrows
The truth is, you aren’t the only one who’s still single. There are many other people who share your fate and understand you all too well. Reach out to them.
If you don’t have any single friends, there are many apps where you can find people to connect with. If you find it hard to open up, you always have our beloved Netflix and a big list of feel-good movies to choose from!
5. Discovering thrilling pastimes
Don’t stay stuck ruminating about the absence of a lover. Instead, put relationships on hold and find some new hobbies to devote your time to.
Do that thing that’s always tempted you! Try playing the guitar or learning a new language. See what you’re good at.
In fact, you don’t even have to be good at it – just have fun and enjoy the little things in life.
Being Single Benefits
I know that you feel utterly sad and inconsolable. You think that being a single woman/man is the biggest curse this world can lay upon you.
However, I’m here to show you why being single is a gift. So, here are some of the benefits that come with your single status:
1. Appreciation of the self
Spending time on your own is finally possible now that you lack a romantic partner. Maybe you will despise it at first but, eventually, you get used to it… and even grow to like it.
When you’re in a relationship, on the other hand, you spend most of your time with your significant other, and you often forget about your individuality. So, take care of your spirit and your overall wellness.
2. Unleashed creativity
Studies show that being single unleashes your creativity more than when you’re in a relationship (generally speaking, of course). You simply have more time to devote to that part of your brain.
So instead of despairing, go and express yourself in any field that seems tempting to you, whether that’s singing, drawing, or writing poetry. Create your own art!
3. Less empty pockets
This might come as a surprising benefit, but you actually save a lot of money by being single! You don’t need to go on dates every day nor buy gifts for numerous special occasions.
You can focus on yourself and your own needs, which, I hope, are very economical! So, rejoice in the fact that you’ve got your pockets full! Go and pamper yourself!
4. Peace in solitude
Living the life of a single person actually helps you become more self-sufficient. This is even more so when you stay single longer.
You learn to live by yourself without needing anyone. This is why you’re most likely to accept someone ONLY if they represent better company than your solitude. That’s real self-care.
5. More time for your loved ones
Since you don’t need to devote your time to a partner, you can actually spend more time with your loved ones.
You get to be there for your friends more than you otherwise would, and you never miss a family gathering! It is the perfect opportunity to strengthen your other relationships.
Why Single Life Is Best: The Unexpected Joy Of Being Single
Single life is not only okay but bloody glorious! Don’t read this with such doubt – I can sense it, you know!
Since my main task here is to rid you of such doubts, here’s why you should appreciate your single life more:
1. Elevation of the self
Yes, having a partner is wonderful, but the truth is you spend so much time with them that you simply don’t have any for yourself!
Being single, you can finally do some contemplating, reevaluate your life choice, and see what you can do for your well-being.
You can take care of both your physical and mental health as well as make progress intellectually. A relationship quite often means stagnation of the self. Well, this is your opportunity to just FLOURISH!
2. The ball is in your court
Yes, we are all individuals. But, as true as that is, we still always tend to include our partners in the decision-making process, whatever that decision is.
When you’re single, on the other hand, you don’t have these relationship problems. You know no one is going to get mad at you for doing something without consulting them. You know you can do your own thing.
3. Time to shine
Being committed to someone can often distract you from excelling at work or school. You can’t devote extra time to these activities when you have dates to arrange, can you? Well, that time is over!
Work extra shifts to improve your job skills and earn more money! Study all day and all night and get those perfect grades you’ve always wanted!
4. No longer shackled
This is similar to the previous reason, but allow me to elaborate.
When you have a partner, even if certain boundaries exist, it’s natural that they won’t be able to stay away from you for very long.
They will want to see you and talk to you, and you can’t blame them either! Feeling that way in a relationship is understandable.
But being single takes all those obligations away! You can do whatever you please with your time. You don’t owe anyone any explanations for why you disappeared for days or didn’t respond to any texts. You are simply free.
5. Single and ready to mingle
When we’re in a relationship with someone, naturally, we want to be committed. We (usually) don’t look for love elsewhere but rather appreciate what we already have (or at least that’s how it should be).
However, as a single person, you are free to meet as many people as you wish. You can flirt with them knowing full well you aren’t cheating on anyone. This way, you have better chances of figuring out what kind of a partner you truly want.
Is Staying Single Okay?
Why, of course it is.
If you’re happy with it, you can enjoy singlehood for the rest of your days. Not wanting a relationship is perfectly fine. Some people are truly happy being single. You don’t need anyone’s validation.
Whatever it is, it only matters that you remember two things:
1. Your life doesn’t revolve around love.
Yes, loving and being loved is a wonderful thing, but…. you don’t really NEED it. Life consists of so many other things that deserve your attention, so many other things to love besides a romantic partner…
You can find a fulfilling job, read books to get lost in another universe, take care of animals, or do whatever you feel is the right choice for you.
Whoever told you that you couldn’t achieve peace if you lack a romantic relationship is lying to you and themselves… So, stop actively searching for love and prove them wrong!
2. If you want something, go and get it.
If you truly desire a relationship (with someone who deserves you, of course!) yet aren’t sure what to do, I’m here to tell you that it’s all actually very simple:
Initiate a conversation with your crush on social media or meet up in person, whatever you’re more comfortable with, and see where it leads from there. It will either work or it won’t, but at least you’ll know where you stand.
If they don’t appreciate your efforts because they prefer someone who’s ‘hard to get,’ that tells you all you need to know. You’re not here to play dating games but rather to seek true love.
Being Single Quotes
I know you’ve been waiting for this… the perfect quotes that will make your tough situation a little more bearable. Well, worry not, because that time has arrived!
Below, you will find quotes that will inspire you to embrace your single life and those that will make you laugh until you cry! Moreover, you will find a list of songs to listen to when you need comfort or empowerment!
Being single inspiring quotes
Cheer up! Or, if you find it hard to, I’m more than happy to help you with that! I want to show you all the benefits of singlehood, but this time, through more artistic means.
Here are some quotes that will make you love your aloneness:
1. ”If you aren’t happy being single, you won’t be happy in a relationship. Get your own life and love it first, then share it.” – Unknown
2. ”My alone feels so good; I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.” – Warsan Shire
3. ”Too many women throw themselves into romance because they’re afraid of being single, then start making compromises and losing their identity. I won’t do that.” – Julie Delpy
4. ”When we cannot bear to be alone, it means we do not properly value the only companion we will have from birth to death: ourselves.” – Eda LeShan
5. ”I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.” – Henry David Thoreau
6. ”Solitude is the place of purification.” – Martin Buber
7. ”Discover why you’re important, then refuse to settle for anyone who doesn’t completely agree.” – Fisher Amelie
8. ”Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty sexy and you’re taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with.” – Carrie Bradshaw, from the TV show The Sex and the City
9. ”I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.” – Robin Williams
10. ”If you really are going to be a happy single, you have to stop treating being single as the annoying time that you pass between relationships and embrace it. Rather than focusing on what you lack, focus on what you have: You.” – Natalie Lue
Being single funny quotes
While being single is great, it’s perfectly understandable to be sad from time to time. However, there is no time for despair here!
That’s why I’ve got this list of quotes by some unknown authors for you that will help you deal with your sadness in the most fun way possible!
1. “I’m single because I don’t need anyone to ruin my life. I’m ruining it perfectly on my own.”
2. “Roses are red, violets are blue, vodka costs less than dinner for two.”
3. “Getting into a relationship may seem tempting, but so was getting on the Titanic, and look what happened there.”
4. “When someone asks me why I’m still single… I guess I’m overqualified.”
5. “My life is like a romantic comedy except there’s no romance, and it’s just me laughing at my own jokes.”
6. “They say you find love in every corner — my life must be a circle.”
7. “When your aunts corner you for a reason why you’re still single: ‘I’m not interested in caring about people.’”
8. ”Sometimes I think ‘maybe I should go out and meet people’ and then I remember I don’t really like people or leaving my house.”
9. “Me: For Christmas, I want a unicorn. Santa: Be realistic. Me: Okay, I want a boyfriend. Santa: What color do you want your unicorn?”
10. ”Why fall in love when you can fall asleep?”
Being single songs
Now, I know that you can’t wait to find the perfect songs to listen to on the bus, so I’ve compiled a list for you.
Here are some that will help you when you’re tired of waiting for love to happen, but also some that will make you love your singlehood:
1. ”I was born to run, I don’t belong to anyone, oh no
I don’t need to be loved by you.” – “Midnight Sky,” Miley Cyrus
2. ”Don’t hide yourself in regret. Just love yourself, and you’re set.” – “Born This Way,” Lady Gaga
3. ”Now it’s nothing but my way. My loneliness ain’t killing me no more. I, I’m stronger…” – “Stronger,” Britney Spears
4. ”I’m young, and I love to be young. I’m free, and I love to be free.” – ‘’You Don’t Own Me,’’ Masquer
5. ”All the women, who independent, throw your hands up at me. All the honeys, who making money, throw your hands up at me.” – “Independent Women, pt. 1,” Destiny’s Child
6. ”Rather be tied up with calls and not strings. Write my own checks like I write what I sing.” – “7 Rings,” Ariana Grande
7. ”See the couple lying on the bus, falling asleep with so much trust. I wish I had a chance to let them know their love is like a flower in the snow.” – “Magnetised,” Tom Odell
8. Yes, I am alone, but then again, I always was, as far back as I can tell. I think maybe it’s because…because you were never really real to begin with. I just made you up to hurt myself.” – “Only,” Nine Inch Nails
9. ”I’m better off without you anyway. I thought it would be hard, but I’m okay. I don’t need you if you’re gonna be that way ’cause with me, it’s all or nothing.” – “I Can Do Better,” Avril Lavigne
10. ”I forgot that you existed. And I thought that it would kill me, but it didn’t. And it was so nice, so peaceful and quiet…” – “I Forgot That You Existed,” Taylor Swift
I hope you have now realized that being single isn’t as bad as you might think. Of course, your feelings are valid if you feel sad – just make sure not to let it consume your entire life.
If no one else is ready to give you the love you desire, then make sure you give it to yourself. Don’t let yourself succumb to despair on anyone’s account.
You exist to feel joy, so go and do just that!