You’re very aware that your partner and your relationship are toxic, but you still can’t end it due to the strong emotions you have for them?
Don’t worry. I’m here to provide you with that much-needed strength with these toxic relationship letting go quotes to finally leave behind those who continually hurt you.
However, I must say that I get you… I really do. There are so many reasons why people choose to stay in a toxic relationship. But, I’m telling you this from my own experience… all those reasons are wrong.
It’s a fact that every normal relationship has its ups and downs; however, manipulations, mental control, and abuse are things that should never be a part of a healthy relationship. The one and only truth is, there can’t be a good reason to keep letting someone drag you down and intoxicate your life all the time.
By the time you’re done reading this article, you’ll understand it, too because these powerful quotes have one task only… to encourage you to let go of toxic people, move on from your unhealthy relationship, and never ever look back again.
Encouraging Toxic Relationship Letting Go Quotes
1.”It’s one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But, if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and continues to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go.” – Daniell Koepke
2. “My encouragement: delete the energy vampires from your life, clean out all complexity, build a team around you that frees you to fly, remove anything toxic, and cherish simplicity. Because that’s where genius lives.” – Robin S. Sharma
3. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term.” – Nicholas Sparks
4. “It is better for someone to break your heart once by leaving your life than for them to stay in your life and break your heart continually.” – Terry Mark
5. “Being alone may scare you. But, staying in a bad relationship will damage you.” – Unknown
6. “You can’t change someone who doesn’t see an issue in their actions.” – Unknown
7. “Letting go of your toxic significant other is the best thing that you can do for your personal growth.” – Unknown
8. “Dear Self: Stop re-opening your doors for toxic people, then calling it ‘seeking closure.’ Certain things don’t work out in life . . . and that’s ok.” – Reyna Biddy
9. “Sometimes you have to accept the truth and stop wasting time on the wrong people.” – Unknown
10. “Losing will not always amount to a loss; sometimes you have to lose those toxic relationships and bad habits to create a space for better things.” – Gift Gugu Mona
11. “Don’t stay in an unhealthy relationship because you think it’ll get better eventually. Know your worth and move on.” – Unknown
12. “Toxic relationships are dangerous to your health; they will literally kill you. Stress shortens your lifespan. Even a broken heart can kill you. There is an undeniable mind-body connection. Your arguments and hateful talk can land you in the emergency room or in the morgue. You were not meant to live in a fever of anxiety; screaming yourself hoarse in a frenzy of dreadful, panicked fight-or-flight that leaves you exhausted and numb with grief. You were not meant to live like animals tearing one another to shreds. Don’t turn your hair gray. Don’t carve a roadmap of pain into the sweet wrinkles on your face. Don’t lay in the quiet with your heart pounding like a trapped, frightened creature. For your own precious and beautiful life, and for those around you — seek help or get out before it is too late. This is your wake-up call!” – Bryant McGill
13. “Divorce is okay. Breaking up is okay. Starting over is okay. Moving on is okay. Being alone is okay. What is not okay is staying somewhere you’re not valued and appreciated.” – Unknown
14. “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
15. “If it is destroying you, it is not love, and you need to let it go.” – Unknown
16. “You cannot fix him. He has been the same and won’t change now. Instead, try to save yourself and get out of the toxic relationship.” – Unknown
17. “Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated. If they can’t see your true value and worth, then it’s time for a new start.” – Unknown
18. “Relationships are supposed to make you feel good. Relationships are not supposed to make you feel bad. Or guilty, insecure, ashamed, paranoid, or hopeless. So, when a relationship makes you feel bad, guilty, insecure, ashamed, paranoid, or hopeless… end it. Get over him. Move on.” – Laura Bowers
19. “When you get out of it, you realize how toxic it actually was.” – Steve Maraboli
20. “You don’t let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself.” – Charles Orlando
21. “You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage.” – Chinonye J. Chidolue
22. “A bad relationship is like standing on broken glass; if you stay, you will keep hurting. If you walk away, you will hurt, but eventually, you will heal.” – Autumn Kohler
Noteworthy Quotes On Letting Go Of A Toxic Relationship
1. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” ― Dr. Phil
2. “The hardest part of being in an emotionally abusive relationship, it’s actually admitting you’re in one.” – Anna Akana
3. “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But, you’re not worthless. You’re underappreciated.” – Steve Maraboli
4. “Toxic relationships are like good pasta that has been overcooked.” – Asa Don Brown
5. “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
6. “Break free of toxic people and relationships; they erode your quality of life.” – Unknown
7. “Closure happens right after you accept that letting go and moving on is more important than projecting a fantasy of how the relationship could have been.” – Sylvester McNutt
8. “When it comes to abuse, you believe there’s no way out. There is always help. There is always a way out.” – Rev. Donna Mulvey
9. “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special, too.” – Ernest Hemingway
10. “Being single and having peace of mind is much better than being in a relationship where you feel single and have no peace of mind.” – Unknown
11. “I found peace of mind when I walked away from small fights not worth fighting. I stopped fighting for people who gossiped about me. I stopped fighting for those who didn’t respect me. I quit worrying about those who wouldn’t value me for being me.” – Dana Arcuri
12. “It’s better to be a single person with high standards than in a relationship settling for less.” – Unknown
13. “If he makes you lose your family, lose your friends, lose your confidence, lose your self-esteem, or lose your happiness, then you need to lose him.” – Unknown
14. “All too often, women believe it is a sign of commitment, an expression of love, to endure unkindness or cruelty, to forgive and forget. In actuality, when we love rightly, we know that the healthy, loving response to cruelty and abuse is putting ourselves out of harm’s way.” – Bell Hooks
15. “Mental abuse is much more painful than physical abuse because you are consumed by your own thoughts.” – Unknown
16. “Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.” – Eckhart Tolle
17. “Sometimes bad things fall apart so good things can fall together.” – Unknown
18. “Letting go doesn’t mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.” – Unknown
19. “Give the gift of your absence to those who do not appreciate your presence.” – Unknown
20 “When being in a toxic relationship in life at times, you may have to step outside yourself to see yourself so you can find yourself and love yourself again.” – Angel Moreira
21. “No partner in a love relationship… should feel that he has to give up an essential part of himself to make it viable.” – May Sarton
22. “A toxic relationship keeps dragging you down. It never helps you in becoming better.” – Unknown
23. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Unknown
24. “Stop setting yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.” – Unknown
25. “The only thing worse than being in a bad relationship for one year is being in it for a year and a day.” – Dr. Phil
26. “Controllers, abusers, and manipulative people don’t question themselves. They don’t ask themselves if the problem is them. They always say the problem is someone else.” – Darlene Quimet
27. “Sometimes there are things in life that aren’t meant to stay. Sometimes change may not be what we want. Sometimes change is what we need.” – Don Bolena Jr.
28. “That’s all you can do in this world no matter how strong the current beats against you or how heavy your burden or how tragic your love story. You keep going.” – Robyn Schneider
29. “We should fight for our relationships, but if fighting means ripping yourself to shreds and piggybacking all his demons, you need to leave.” – Tara Love
30. “Staying in an unhealthy relationship that robs you of peace of mind is not being loyal. It is choosing to hurt yourself mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically.” – Kemi Sogunle
31. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” – Herman Hesse
32. “The person who doesn’t value you is blocking you from the one who will. Let them go.” – Robert Tew
33. “Letting go of people in your life doesn’t mean you hate them; it simply means you respect yourself. Not everyone you meet is meant to stay.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
34. “There is no safe way to remain in a relationship with a person who has no conscience. The only solution is to escape.” – Unknown
35. “Everybody has bad relationships and, at the end of the day, they are just a great way to set yourself up for a good relationship.” – Anne Hathaway
Moving On From Toxic People Quotes
1. “You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.” – Joel Osteen
2. “My father once said, ‘If you’re in the desert and you’re dying of thirst, are you going to drink a glass of blood or are you going to drink a glass of water?’ I think what he was trying to say, interesting coming from my blood father, is that sometimes there are people in your family that can be toxic.” – Nicolas Cage
3. “Letting go of toxic people is an act of self-care.” – Karen Salmansohn
4. “May you reach that level within where you no longer allow your past or people with toxic intentions to negatively affect or condition you.” – Lalah Delia
5. “Remove yourself from people who treat you like your time doesn’t matter, like your feelings are worthless, or like your soul is replaceable.” – S. McNutt
6. “Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale
7. “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life, you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – DLQ
8. “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family.” – Unknown
9. “When dealing with toxic people, always choose distance over disrespect.” – Germany Kent
10. “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” – Denisse Lisseth
11. “Removing toxic people from your life isn’t the difficult part. Not feeling guilty about it is.” – Unknown
12. “You think you can change a guy, that he’ll be different with you, that you’ll finally be the one to tame him… and before you know it, you’re alone in your underwear at nine o’clock on a Saturday night, crying to Adele songs, eating ice cream straight from the gallon, and wondering what the hell is the matter with you that you fell for such a goddamned man-child after he explicitly warned you not to.” – Julie Johnson
13. “We all have those toxic people around us that make our lives miserable… The day we take them out from our lives, we will all become better people, including them…” – Rodolfo Peon
14. “You are not a rehab. It’s not your job to fix everyone.” – Unknown
15. “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” – Robert Tew
16. “Let go of negative people. They only show up to share complaints, problems, disastrous stories, fear, and judgment on others. If somebody is looking for a bin to throw all their trash into, make sure it’s not in your mind.” – Dalai Lama
17. “You don’t ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life.” – Unknown
How Do You Get Out Of A Toxic Relationship, Quotes
1. “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.’” – Joel Osteen
2. “Sometimes the best revenge is to smile and move on.” – Unknown
3. “It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So, you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.” – Nicholas Sparks
4. “You have to believe that you’re better than the fountain of abuse that has been spewing hurt and pain at you. You just are.” – Sara Li
5. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
6. “Life is too short to hang around people who are causing you to compromise… pulling you down. Your time is too valuable to waste it with people who don’t have a dream… people that aren’t going anywhere. You don’t need to make some big announcement, but little by little, you should spend less time with them.” – Joel Osteen
7. “Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?” – Mary Manin Morrissey
How Do You Let Go Of A Toxic Relationship When You Still Love Them?
The truth is, it’s hard to let go of someone, even though you’re deeply aware they’re bad for you. However, as painful as it may be, you need to understand that it’s the only way to save yourself.
Also understand that unshackling yourself from an unhealthy relationship will clear the path, so the right person can enter your life… so you can meet true love.
Just for once, put your heart and your emotions on mute and turn your brain up. Make your physical, emotional, and mental health a priority because they all are endangered for as long as you let those people with toxic intentions stay in your life.
Gather the strength to finally choose yourself over your toxic love… to finally choose your own peace of mind, or at least what’s left of it. And, work on yourself because the more you work on improving yourself, the more you’ll be aware of your worth, and that will prevent you from settling for less than you deserve ever again.
I hope these powerful toxic relationship letting go quotes were helpful and encouraging, or at least comforting. I hope they made you realize that the best, the only choice you have in order to save and free yourself is to cut off those toxic ties.
It is true that you can’t completely move on without healing first, but it’s also true that your healing process won’t even start for as long as you’re staying in an unhealthy relationship.
Don’t imprison yourself hoping that they’ll change because they won’t, and no amount of love you give them will ever be enough to change them.
If you allow them to stay in your life, you, yourself, will be the main culprit for your broken heart because that’s how you’ll end up sooner or later… broken-hearted.
Remember, only people who deserve to have a place in your life are the ones who encourage you to be better and fill your life with nothing but pure happiness.