Harsh words break no bones, but they do break hearts.
Sadly, every spouse often forgets about this and says hurtful things they don’t really mean just to leave the other partner feeling heartbroken.
The truth is that all married couples fight, but if you want to be the world’s best husband, there are some sentences you should never tell your wife.
So, what exactly is the worst thing a husband can say to his wife? Well, according to relationship experts, there are many lines that make it on this list.
What husbands should not say to their wives
No husband should ever disrespect his wife or diminish her worth in any way. Remember: no insult is acceptable. You’re not allowed to belittle her by telling her that she’s stupid, unattractive, fat, or uninteresting.
It’s perfectly normal if you two disagree about something. However, there is no need for being mean. Don’t try to put her down – it won’t lift you up!
The Worst Thing A Husband Can Say To His Wife: The Ultimate List
I don’t care how angry you get: you simply mustn’t say any of these things unless you want to destroy your marriage!
1. I’ve never loved you
Translation: I hate you and I’m saying this to hurt your feelings. Who wants to be in a loveless marriage?
2. I regret the day I married you
Ouch! This one hurts, and it’s probably the worst thing a husband can say to his wife.
3. I loved my ex-wife more than I loved you
Don’t compare your partner to anyone, let alone to the person you were married to before!
4. All of my good friends and family members were right when they told me not to marry you
You know this is her weak spot, so don’t use it even if you’re fighting. You should protect her from your loved ones who clearly don’t like her.
5. I wish I had married my high school sweetheart
Again, with the exes. Don’t mention them EVER!
6. Why do I have to tell you I love you all the time, I said it once?
Women need to hear these three magical words, even though you’re probably showing your love with action. You need to tell her you’re still in love with her! This is especially the case if her love language is words of affection.
7. It’s no surprise your mother-in-law doesn’t love you
No matter how angry you are, don’t bring your mother to the table. Trust me, it will backfire on you sooner or later!
8. I wish I could erase all of our years of marriage
Once again, you’re telling her you wish you never married her, and you probably hate her.
9. You’re completely worthless
It’s your job to boost her self-esteem, not to ruin it even more. Give her validation if she asks for it!
Marriages fall into a rut. However, you should work on spicing things up instead of blaming your wife for it.
11. You’re a terrible cook
She is doing her best. Besides, she didn’t become your personal chef when she said “I do”. If you don’t like her cooking, make your own meals.
12. You better lose some weight
Ask her to join you at the gym or something subtle like that instead of insulting her this way.
13. You’re a bad mother and I wish I never had children with you
Well, maybe she’d be better at it if she had some help from you.
14. I don’t know what got into my head when I married you
This is a common line people say to each other when they’re fighting, but trust me, it’s the worst thing a husband can say to his wife.
15. It’s no wonder you have self-esteem issues. I mean, just look at yourself
Whatever happens, don’t kick her so low and insult her physical appearance. And, don’t look at other women in her presence!
16. Look at my good friend. Don’t you see how his wife treats him? Why can’t you be the same?
Remember how I told you not to compare your wife with your ex-partners? Well, don’t you dare compare her with other “better” wives either!
17. I’m loaded with the stress of work. I can’t deal with your problems right now
You should always find time for her. Even though her problems might seem foolish to you, they’re obviously bothering her – otherwise, she wouldn’t bring them up.
18. You don’t work. All you do is take care of the house and the kids. That’s not a real job
This is probably the worst thing a husband can say to his wife. Trust me: she is doing much more than you can see. Don’t underestimate the effort she is giving to your family.
19. Everything bad in our marriage is your fault
Newsflash: things going downhill is never one partner’s fault. You’re both to blame for the state of your marriage so don’t turn everything around on her! It’s impossible that you’re the one who does nothing wrong.
20. I miss my bachelor life
This translates to: “I wish I were single so I could sleep around as much as I want.”
21. That woman is more beautiful than you. Why can’t you look like her?
You chose your wife, and it’s disrespectful to say that some other woman is prettier than her – even if we’re talking about a supermodel.
22. I wish I had married my ex-girlfriend
Well, you haven’t.
23. You were a nobody until you met me
Again with the belittling! Trust me – she was doing just fine without you.
24. I can’t sleep with you anymore
You’ll just ruin her self-esteem with this one.
25. You’re not my best friend
Of course, you should have your male friends. But, she wants to think of herself as your best friend.
26. It’s not such a big deal. Don’t you see that you’re overreacting?
If it hurt her, it is a big deal and you should treat it that way.
27. Aren’t you being too emotional?
No, she’s not – she’s just expressing her feelings.
28. When I saw you for the first time, I didn’t like you
All women want to believe in fairytales. Instead of this, tell her she knocked you off your feet.
29. I ended up marrying you just because you were convenient
If you’re looking for the worst thing a husband can say to his wife, you’ve probably found it.
30. I don’t want to visit the marriage counselor. I think we’re doing just fine
No, you’re not; your marriage is broken. Otherwise, she wouldn’t propose marriage counseling in the first place.
31. Our sex life is awful and it’s your fault
Guess what: you’re both responsible for physical intimacy in your marriage. If you’re not satisfied with it, bring some spark to your bedroom.
32. I don’t want to take you out on a date night. We’re married; what’s the point of date nights anyhow?
Just because you married her doesn’t mean that you should stop seducing her and being romantic.
33. I settled for less when I married you
What makes you think you’re better than her? Trust me: you’re not. In fact, maybe she settled for less when she married you… she just never told you.
34. I was never really in love with you. I just asked you to marry me because my biological clock was ticking
This one hurts like hell. It means her entire life with you is a lie.
35. You tricked me into marrying you
Oh, and you were so naive. What makes you think it wasn’t the other way around?
36. It’s no wonder your ex-husband left you
Don’t tackle her painful past. And, if you do, don’t forget one thing: She replaced him… she might as well replace you!
37. I don’t think we have a happy marriage and I’m not willing to do anything about improving it
38. It’s not something you need to know. Let me have my own secrets!
You don’t have to share every little thing with your wife, especially if it doesn’t concern your marriage. However, this is not the way to say it!
Translation: I want my social media followers to think of me as single so I can be unfaithful without much trouble.
40. I wanted a divorce last year, but I stayed because I didn’t know where else to go
Well, if you hadn’t brought it up then, what’s the point of mentioning it now?
41. You’re the worst part of my life. If it weren’t for you, I’d be much happier
Guess what: she’s your choice.
42. I don’t want to hang out with other married couples. I want to go clubbing on my own all the time
Translation: I hate the fact that we’re a married couple. I want to be single again.
43. That’s your problem. Learn to deal with it instead of asking me for help all the time
You two are a team, and it’s about time you start acting that way.
44. I didn’t get you anything for our anniversary. Don’t be mad… who keeps track of those dates anymore?
I don’t care how long you two have been together: your wife always expects something for an important date. It doesn’t have to be an expensive gift; it’s the thought that counts.
I’m not talking about your anniversary here only. It’s the same about her birthday, Christmas, or Valentine’s day.
45. You don’t need time for self-care. You’re always with the kids. It’s not like you have a real job.
That’s exactly why she needs extra time for self-care; so she doesn’t go insane.
46. I don’t see the need to consult with you. I’ll do what I want anyhow
What’s the point of having a significant other? In that case, you should have just stayed single.
47. I don’t care about your feelings
Translation: I’m a selfish husband, and I only give a damn about my own well-being.
48. Just get over it; it happened last year!
If it still bothers her, it means you haven’t resolved it in a healthy way.
49. I can’t stand looking at you.
You’re just bringing her insecurities to the surface. As angry as you are right now, please don’t ever tell her this.
50. I’m in love with someone else
51. I slept with another woman, but it didn’t mean anything so you shouldn’t make a fuss about it
As if being unfaithful weren’t enough, you have the audacity to act like it’s not a big deal.
52. I’m better than you in everything
Undermining her worth won’t make you feel better about yourself, and it won’t turn you into a dominant husband.
53. It’s no wonder the kids love me more than they love you
Don’t ever play this card. The kids probably “love” you more because you pretend to be the good cop around the house.
54. If I hadn’t married you, you’d die alone. I mean, who else would have wanted you?
You’re implying that you did her a favor when you married her. What woman wouldn’t be crushed after hearing this?
55. Don’t take it so personally
It doesn’t matter what you did; since it was directed to you, she’ll take it personally.
56. You’re better with the kids than I am
Translation: I’m giving you a compliment so I could avoid my responsibilities as a father.
57. I remember how you were when we first met. Why can’t you look like that again?
Let me tell you why: Because she probably spends all of her days cooking, cleaning after you, and taking care of the kids.
Besides, you see her when she wakes up, when she is sick, or when she is dead tired. You can’t expect her to look the same as the woman you were seeing a few times a week on date nights can you?
58. When will you stop nagging me?
It’s not like she enjoys it. But, I guess she has no other choice because you’re clearly not making any changes in your behavior.
59. Are you really going out wearing that outfit?
Translation: You look awful.
60. What did you say?
Translation: I wasn’t paying attention, and I deliberately wasn’t listening because I was scrolling through social media or watching TV. Basically, everything is more interesting than you.
61. I can’t take out the trash right now
Come on, it’s probably the only thing you do around the house. Don’t expect her to take over that chore as well.
62. I’ll do it in a minute
We all know you won’t. You’re just saying it to get her off your neck or in hopes she’ll do it instead. Well, guess what: she knows you’re lying, and that’s why this sentence upsets her so much.
63. Did you finish?
This is without competition the worst thing a husband can say to his wife in the bedroom. First of all, you’re pressuring her to finish. Secondly, if you put her in the mood, she’d probably get there sooner.
64. I know I promised, but I just didn’t find the time
Translation: I forgot about it. OR, I didn’t think keeping my promise to you was important enough.
65. Can’t you just calm down?
This one is universal, but it applies to your wife as well. Remember: the worst thing a husband can say to his wife who is in the middle of a nervous breakdown is to calm down. She would if she could.
66. I don’t think we have to talk about it
If she wants to discuss it, it means it matters to her. Hear her out if nothing else.
67. I won’t apologize
Emotionally mature men say they’re sorry when they screw up. It’s about time you join the club.
68. I’m sorry you felt that way
Wrong! You should be sorry for doing something wrong in the first place!
69. Does it feel nice not having to worry about finances?
Let me give you an answer instead of her: Does it feel nice not having to pay for a personal chef, a cleaning lady, a secretary, and a nanny?
70. I’m sick and tired of hearing the same things over and over again
Well, you wouldn’t be hearing them if you paid attention for the first time.
71. You’re slowly becoming just like your mother
I bet she adores her mother, but don’t compare the two. Unless you want to start a huge fight, that is.
72. Are you really going to eat all that?
Yes, she will. And, there is absolutely no purpose of pointing it out other than offending her.
73. Your son/daughter did something
Oh, now it’s her son or daughter just because they did something you don’t approve of. But, when they make you proud, they’re daddy’s children, aren’t they?
74. Why does the house look like this? What have you been doing all day?
If you don’t like what you see, start cleaning and tidying it up; it’s as simple as that.
75. I want an open marriage
So, basically you want the license to be unfaithful? Look, it’s one thing if you two had an open relationship from the beginning.
In that case, it’s clear that you’re both up to it. But, coming with this kind of suggestion out of the blue is a big, fat no.
76. When I need your opinion, I’ll ask for it
You’re just being rude and no woman wants a disrespectful husband. Agree to disagree, but don’t ever say something like this.
77. I love all of my family members more than I love you
First of all, you shouldn’t compare these types of love. Secondly, this implies that she is not your family. Thirdly, you can never choose your family over her.
78. I only married you because you were pregnant
Have you ever heard of co-parenting? It was your responsibility to take care of your unborn child, but nobody forced you to marry their mother. It was your choice, and it’s unnecessary to bring it up now.
79. Can’t you be better in bed?
This is probably the worst thing a husband can say to his wife. Trust me: there are a bunch of other, more polite ways to state your dissatisfaction in the bedroom.
80. You’re not the first woman to go through childbirth. Toughen up a little
Repeat after me: No uterus – no opinion!
81. You wouldn’t get it
Translation: you’re too stupid to understand it. I’m smarter than you just because I am a man.
82. Being around you used to be fun
You can’t expect her to be the same careless young girl she was when you met her. Now, she has tons of problems bothering her, which make her very negative. Just make sure you’re not one of them!
83. I want a divorce
Nobody wants to hear this. But, if you’re wondering if you should get a divorce, you have to say it out loud.
However, please don’t say it just to hurt her feelings. These words have a lot of meaning, and don’t pronounce this sentence if you’re not completely sure your marriage is over.
What’s the worst thing you can do to your wife?
Being abusive, selfish, disrespectful, and unfaithful are probably the worst things you can do to your wife. However, not loving her enough will break her heart more than anything else!
To Wrap Up:
Now that you’ve learned what the worst thing a husband can say to his wife is, please avoid each one of these sentences.
Here’s some marriage advice: always remember to be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can’t be erased or forgotten.
You might also be interested in: